KDX 220 head mill down and jug honing

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
DiggidyD

KDX 220 head mill down and jug honing

Post by DiggidyD »

Hey guys,

Just acquired a 2004 kdx 220 and have taken apart the top end for resurfacing and/or replating bc it was past specs for new internals. Does anyone know where I can get the head milled down, jug refinished and possible carb work all in the same place?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

head and carb: only one place RBD
http://www.rb-designs.com/
The work is worth the money spent and the service is the best in any business I've dealt with. You won't regret it.
Re plating, I used powerseal. price was good quality was there, I'll deal with them again.
STAY AWAY from US chrome.
Welcome to the site.

PS: what's the plating look like on your cylinder? Might not need to be replated. Post or link some pics.
Also I assume you'll replace the stock piston with a wiseco and NOT the OEM, they are know to grenade on the 220.
MontanaKDX
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MontanaKDX »

scheckaet wrote:head and carb: only one place RBD
http://www.rb-designs.com/
The work is worth the money spent and the service is the best in any business I've dealt with. You won't regret it.
+1 :supz:
RB Designs does outstanding work that is reasonably priced with an amazingly quick turn around.
'97 KDX 220

RIDE ON!
xrvic

Post by xrvic »

RB is not the only place to go.. Fredette porting will make more power via changing the way the engine develops its power as opposed to head mods and carb mods that make the engine more efficient but developing its power with stock porting. Ive ridden both, and fredettes port and head mods combo on the 220 is just more everywhere in the powerband compared to the rb carb/head mods. I agree that I wouldnt mix the to.
If you have the proper tools, the liner wont flake off as some people have speculated. My 220 has had its frp porting for 3 yrs with no probs, hope this helps.
Jeff has used his porting at least 10 ISDE s' and countless national enduros.
Is say at least 10.000 racing miles.javascriptemoticon(':supz:')
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

If you want to go with a full port job(which you didn't ask about) now would in fact be the time as there is no risk in hurting the plating...cause it's going to get plated anyway. If your getting a port job MOST DEFINITELY let the guy doing the porting cut the head. The heed doesn't simply get 'milled down' it's a hemi, and the profile/taper in the sphere (squish) is the most important thing. You can read on here in relation to opinions on Fredette's port jobs.

RB does a fantastic job at cutting a head mildly for pump gas, or tighter for race gas...based on stock port timing.

How do you know your jug is out of spec? How does the plating look? You need some really good tools to mic the difference between a few pistons worth of wear on a plated cylinder(lt's nearly microns). Most simply just go by visual inspection of the plating. If it's gouged/etc of course it's done.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
xrvic

Post by xrvic »

Well since fuzzo decided to point out you didnt ask about porting, Ill say this..
Freedom is what i fought for in Vietnam and I exercise it at will.. this Site has become a Shrine to rb designs, which is also an act of freedom. However is is ok in my opinion to actually point out weaknesses in suggested replies even if it does Gore the Sacred cow.

Since you were seeking more power, It is perfectly appropriate to mention another way/builder to get what you looking for. RB does not have the credentials Mr Fredette has , who, completely designed the kdx for about 20 years and has used the very modifications he sells, Winning untold medals and overall races. That in itself gives credence to mention him in such a holy place.
I dont know mr fredette and havnt met him, So Ill say it again. Ive ridden both RB moded bikes and Fredetes complete mods. Fredettes bike is more power and smoothness everywhere. Thats it.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I simply stated you can research Fredette on here...There are opinions going both ways on his porting jobs. There are other places to get porting done as well. RB is not one of them.

Also simply stated that RB's blanket-cut head mod is based on stock cylinder....IE don't send your cylinder/head to two different places if you're having porting done.

So combine everything I said with a grain of salt. I own neither a FRP jug, or a RB head. Only vendor bashed in this thread was US Chrome.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project