RB Designs-class act!

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
Dbrockman1972

RB Designs-class act!

Post by Dbrockman1972 »

I sent my head, carb, lower tree from my 01 kdx220, a lower tree from an 02 kx250, head bearings, and both front axles to Ron to work his magic. I opted to re-use my kdx wheel, so I had the axle mod done in addition to the stem swap/spacer mod. My GF packed up my stuff and got it shipped off while I was on the road for work. Not sure how the packing job was, but fed ex bent the hell out of the choke shaft and Ron found something else that needed extra attention. Also, the head was badly pitted due to the PO not replacing the stock piston soon enough, and Ron was leery of doing his mods to that head. I had a feeling, but I thought maybe the dents wouldn't hurt the mod. The parts arrived at his shop on Friday, and after much emailing back and forth, we decided how to handle the extra work to the carb, and the head situation. I got an email from him on Monday, saying all the front end work was done and he would ship that while he waited for me to send a different head (which I found and is on its way) and deal with the carb issues. WOW! I have never had customer service like that in all my time in the motorcycle industry! I hope to receive the front end stuff soon so I can measure how much I need to lower, and send the suspension off for a revalve/respring. I haven't seen the work yet, so maybe I am a little early writing this, but I really have no doubt the work will be as great as his customer service. And if there happens to be any issues, which I highly doubt, I am sure he will take care of them. Ill snap some pics of his work and report back after everything is sorted out and tested.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: RB Designs-class act!

Post by Tedh98 »

Yup, awesome customer service, excellent quality and fast turnaround. With most companies you only seem to get one or two of those.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

All that and he just is coming off some health issues too. There's a reason he is the go to guy for our community!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Ron's the absolute best!
'
Dbrockman1972

RB Designs-class act!

Post by Dbrockman1972 »

Update:
I did a test fit/mockup with the RB modified triple clamp, spacer, and axle mod. Everything bolted right on, just like stock! The machine work was beautiful, and fit with factory like tolerances. Impressive!
Dbrockman1972

Post by Dbrockman1972 »

Update:
The front end went on perfectly with Rons mods. Not one single issue. None. Nothing. The KDX wheel bolted on like stock as well. All I had to do was set my steering stops.
I had some issues with a FedEx damaged carb and a trashed head, but after we sorted that out, Ron had the head and carb back to me so quickly that I almost couldn't believe it. The head work looked awesome, and the carb looked great, too. The packaging was also top notch. I re-installed the parts without touching the carb other than new vent lines and fuel line. A couple kicks and it started up and idled perfectly. After a warm up I took the bike up and down the street a bunch of times, and played around in the yard. Throttle response was much crisper, and the bike had much more power everywhere. No bogging or hesitation whatsoever. I had already installed a PC Platinum 2 pipe with 607 reeds and no airbox lid with the stock carb (jetted correctly) and head. That helped the bike run a lot better, but now it pulls much harder. Almost as hard as my CR 250, but feels much more manageable. Top end seems to rev out a bit higher also. Power wheelies through 5th surprised me. I have never done a mod that made this much difference for this kind of money. If you have a 220, I feel bad for you if you haven't sent your parts to Ron. It really makes a good motor great. This may sound like an infomercial for RB Designs, but when someone actually delivers what they say they will, with great service, and at a more than fair price, they deserve props.