12/52 Sprocket Update

Got questions? We got answers....
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

12/52 Sprocket Update

Post by Velocity_Stack »

After a year of having this combo - 12 tooth up front and a 52 tooth out back - I just love the combo.

I got the KDX out in the pasture yesterday, for the first time, and absolutely love the pull it has.

I find the front wheel drifting in mid air 1st through 3rd on a straight line blast, before letting off - nice feeling.

I've had woods time with it a couple of times and it suited my non-aggressive riding style just fine, which I figured it would.

My next venture is to figure out the proper chain adjustment, cause this new chain it stretching way to fast for my liking, but I'll search around for that info.

Just for info: I don't think this bike has any of the RB mods......... and I'm not going to break it down until something breaks - running too good at the moment.
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 12/52 Sprocket Update

Post by Velocity_Stack »

I guess I'll post to my self, since no interest to date.

Good combo for the "putt around in the woods" but still plenty of top end straight speeds for our short course pasture rides - never even hit 5th gear.

I am by no means a professional rider, so this gearing ratio may be boring for the young at heart, but works for me - as a very mild rider with my first KDX.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

12/52 Sprocket Update

Post by rbates9 »

If you go to http://www.gearingcommander.com/ It can show you how many revolutions of the sprocket to the chain for same tooth contact. The 12/52 has a bad match for the chain contact. ( If this make sense I'll be surprised because it barley makes sense while I'm typing it)

It looks like going to an odd in the front it should help with the chain wear and not effect the gearing too much. Check out the link and play with the numbers. It is a good tool to get an idea of what to expect before you buy parts.
Cha Ching

Post by Cha Ching »

I bought a "Final Drive" chain and sprocket set about 6 months ago. The chain is kinked and my rear sprocket has about 5 missing teeth. Ya get what ya pay for, the set was $100.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

12/52 Sprocket Update

Post by Slick_Nick »

I've tried about 4 different sproket combinations and the stock 13/47 is best with my mods for what I do. Guess Kawasaki actually tested that!
'00 KDX 220R
dsmitty

Post by dsmitty »

I've got the 12/52 on my '88. I ride the same way as you. puttin around till i c a decent "little" jump or a cool hill to climb. I'm 49 yrs old so I don't jump much higher than 6 or 7 ft anymore! I think the 12/52 is great. 2nd gear at 10 mph or so and can easily lift the front tire up to get over rocks, roots and logs. See a hill out of the corner of your eye, turn and zing right up it without clutching. only problem is the motor singing pretty good at 60 mph. No prob for me though. when going from one play area to the other I think of Slow Ride from Foghat.
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

Well, mine has never been up to 60 mph, or even close, so I have no feedback on the motor singing in top gear.

I"m glad there's someone else out there that likes the combo as well as I do.

To be honest, I should just sell the KDX; it gets absolutely no ride time and the last time I did ride was in the woods, which resulted in a spill and bruised ribs.

I just hate to part with a 2-stoke anything, cause they store long term very well; just like all the jet-skis I still have and haven't started in 6 or so more years now.