Scott Goggles

Feedback on products.....
JD

Scott Goggles

Post by JD »

... are crap!

I lost my Scott 89's out riding in the rain last week. Had to keep taking them off because they were fogging up so bad. I would put them back on when we hit the roads for safety's sake, but as soon as we hit the woods again I would have to take them off - was afraid I was going to kill myself in the rock gardens. I was being pretty good about putting them in my raincoat pocket, but I got lazy at one point and just stuck them up on top of my helmet. Much to my suprise they somehow slipped off while I was crashing through the bushes and branches - head down like some kind of demented deer.
So I went to the local shop the next day looking for a pair of Smith's, didn't have the ones I wanted so I picked up a pair of Spy Targa's. Damn fine goggles! They were 8 bucks more ($29.95) than the Scotts but they come with a nice soft goggle bag (perfect for cleaning the lens), lens changes are much easier and most importantly they have these cool side vents at the edges of the goggles that scoop are in and right across the inside of the lens. Very nice! No fog so far. Oh yeah, they also have a strip of silicon (or something similiar) along the inside of the strap which really grips your helmet. Doubt if these babies will be fluttering off the skid lid.

I'll never buy another pair of Scott goggles again!
'04 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My Scotts have the 3 strips of silicone on the strap... your old Scotts must have been...well... old! :lol:

I have 2 pair of 'em and if they would start to slightly fog up... I take off and they cleared up immediately. Never had a problem yet.... but who knows....

Thanks for the review... good to know there are options! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thats a common problem with all eye protection really. I took care of mine by installing some quick straps. When I slow or stop, I can pull my goggles off in a second and have them back on just as fast. I' have had Oakleys and Spy goggles and they both fog unless your moving. Does'nt matter, I even tried the so called anti fog crap...... that really does'nt work. The best stuff I've used to treat goggles was Rain-X, but it only worked for awhile. The quick straps are alittle pricy, but they are worth it.

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

There is a special anit fog lens you can get from Scott for the goggles. Mine are tinted yellow as well. Takes only a couple of minutes to change out.
Also, check out any sports store that sells ski goggles with anti fog technology. The inside of the lens has a coating that absorbs water like a sponge. I will distort a bit as it swells, but it's never foggy. Probably cheap at some clearance, endofseason sale or on eBay.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I have Progrip gooooogles. They are "anti fog" but still sorta fog, well only when you are hot and stopped but as the breath out fogs them the breath in unfogs them. Its like magic :shock: They have never fogged while riding, ever... They also have light sensitive lenses but I wouldn't get it again as I bought a clear one to replace it. From what I have read the blue tint seems to work best in sunny areas to reduce glare. The tinted lenses once they go dark they tend to hide the dark, shadowed rock edges and roots, etc... Just my limited experience FWIW...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

A yellow lens is used to highlight contrasts and is great in low or flat light conditions. Hunters, shooting sports, skiing, all use the yellow lens under less than ideal condions. I swear by it under those conditions.

JD, those rock gardens, are they so bad they make your eyeballs sweat and that's what's causing the fog?! Send some photos!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

My bad, thats right I read the (yellow) are the best (as opposed to the light sensitive) because the tint is still dark when leaving a sunny area into a darker wooded area making it difficult to see. Thanks for clearing that up Ski...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If I go slow, my goggles fog. If I go fast in second gear, they will clear up. I just think it is a common problem.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JD

Post by JD »

My Scotts have the 3 strips of silicone on the strap... your old Scotts must have been...well... old!
Mine had the little strips too - largely ineffective. Brand new in March. :butthead:

:mrgreen:

I know that fog is inevitable in slow, humid going. I'm okay with that as long as they clear when you get moving again. Those damn Scotts didn't flow any air, with these Spy's you cam actually feel the breeze across your eyeballs. Not much, but it's effective. But I haven't tested them in the rain yet. Not only that but the quality of the goggle is several notches above what I've seen from Scott.

No offense meant to Scott loyalists, I was one too, but I've seen the light and it is fog free! :prayer:
'04 200
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

This is what I do wiith my bathroom mirror to prevent it from fogging. You grap a cake of soap, scribble all over the mirror like a crayon and buff it right into the glass until it's all clear again with no soap marks / streaks. Try it on half you mirror if you don't believe me and take a hot shower. Will this work with googles,,, I dunno really but I thought it might inspire some ideas.

JD

Post by JD »

You grap a cake of soap, scribble all over the mirror like a crayon and buff it right into the glass until it's all clear again with no soap marks / streaks.
I remember reading somewhere in a ski or dirtbike magazine a long time ago that you could do the same thing using a potato. Cut it in half, smear the juice on the lens then let it dry and buff it out. Never tried it. Scuba divers spit into their face masks, swish it around then rinse it out. Haven't tried that either.

I'd be interested in hearing the results if anybody feels like experimenting.
'04 200
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

JD wrote: Scuba divers spit into their face masks, swish it around then rinse it out. Haven't tried that either. .
Spitting on a the inside glass of a scuba mask does work but only for a little bit. I've never tried it on a googles. I've never been able to keep googles from fogging up, until I used a pair of Scotts googles that had a turbo flow lense in it. Its a double lense with vent holes in the outside lense. The slightest little bit of airflow keeps them unfogged.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Shaving cream on a bathroom mirror applied then wiped clean keeps it from fogging. It might work for goggles too.
Jerry

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Get some Quick Straps for your goggles

When you start to fog up just undo the velcro, you can either let em hang if its not gonna catch on something or reattach on top of the helmet

I've got Smith Turbo Option goggles, they have a built in fan that continuously runs, and even with these I still fog up in 'Carvr's woods! The goggles have a high speed setting to clear them when this happens
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

RE: Quick Straps

Great to have! I noticed everyone of us on the Jefferson Ride had 'em and used 'em too!
Jerry