Trials tire--Michelin

Feedback on products.....
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

>|<>QBB<
220rider wrote:>|<>QBB<
skythrasher wrote:Took carvr's link at motercycle superstore and ordered up a X-11. I can't wait to mount it up and see how it works compared to the Dunny's I been runnin. It should be a lot easier to mount. Appears to maybe have a taller profile than the D803, but hard to tell not mounted.

I am going to use this tube. I have at least one of these in both my other trials tires. One even has an old one in there used as a boot.
Well was the x-11 taller? wer u running the same size tube in your d803?
No it was almost exactly the same. It does however seem to have a flatter tread surface at the same pressure. It seems softer than the D803, maybe this is why it is flatter. The D803's that I have are tubless and this X-11 is the tube type. It was much easier to mount and for that reason alone I will stick with the X-11. I have not had any problems with the D803 traction wise, but the X-11 seems slightly better.

I run the 110/100-18 tubes in mine. Word of caution if you use the UHD tubes they seem to inch worm in the tire at low pressures. I run two beadlocks on my 250 and one on the KDX. I thought my tires were slipping until I marked the rim and it was just the tube. You need to keep an eye on your valve stem if you are going to run UHD tubes. I went back to my old standard of a regular tube inside a boot made from a UHD tube. Never had any problems running this set-up.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
220rider

Post by 220rider »

thanks i think im going to go with the x-11, seems to be the better choice of the two.
cycra probend handgaurds, wiesco piston, renthal chain, ims desert tank, pro taper SE bars.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Be aware, the X-11 is the softest of the trials tires. It will not hold up as well to aggressive riding, and pavement will absolutely shred it. Also it will feel more "wallowy" because of the softer sidewall. Supposedly it has the best grip out of the bunch as a trade off though.

Maybe skythrasher can give us some good feedback on treadwear here in a couple months.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I have been running this same X-11 on a CR250 for a little over a year now. The tire is still working fine. It shows lots of wear and the knobs are about 55-60% and rounded. It has lost a few of the outer most knobs and the rest of the knobs are chewed on a little.

I ran a D803 for about the same amount of time and it wore the same. I can't tell a difference in the way they wear. The MT43 does wear better and has a stiffer sidewall, but it is not a true trials tire.

I have run the D803 and the X-11 on my dirt bikes. I have the X-11 tubless front and rear on my trials bike. My buddy has run the MT43 and we have both had godd results with any of the three.

I wouldn't worry to much about wear life. These things continue to work when they are toasted. I would look at price first and ease of mounting second. The X-11 is easier to mount and these days the price is about the same for all three.

I have run trials tires in every kind of terrain and they perform well without fail. The times that it didn't work I am not sure anything would have. Sticky mud will pack one up pretty fast, and wet grass can be a real test. They suprisingly work great in deep sand.

They are not a fix all, cure all, and some riding styles don't lend themselves to these tires. They don't like high speed on hard pack too much, and won't take a fast rider pounding them off roots and rocks at AA speeds. The MT43 is DOT approved and holds up on pavement on the dual sports (tagged dirtbikes not the real heavy dualsports) fairly well.

This is not the gospel on trials tires, just what I have learned with mine.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days