Magellan Explorist 500 GPS

Feedback on products.....
KDXer
Supporting Member

Magellan Explorist 500 GPS

Post by KDXer »

All I can say is 'COOL'

This thing rocks. I have only been using it for 1 day but I believe I have worked out 99% of its functions, super easy to use.

The colour display is awesome with 3 different brightness levels and even after eye surgery :shock: (I can see everything fine now except small writing etc) I can still read everything clearly and easily.

The unit is very compact and extremely light. It's buttons and menus are well layed out and also a breeze to use.

It seems to have every function available in a GPS I could possibly need and more, if there was one more thing I would want it would only be a thermometer (available in the Explorist 600).

Charges VIA USB port, car cigarette lighter, 240v power outlet or can get a battery pack to accept AAA's. I have had it on for 17hrs and the battery has still got 1/4 power left. Li-Ion battery, very impressive.

Overall I really could not be happier, except I keep hearing the better half muttering something about 'him and his new toy' :roll: :lol:

I'm just waiting for my 512mb SD card and Australia on disk to arrive and I'm off for my adventure on the 27th..... :partyman: :grin:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Another thing that would be handy is a keylock feature.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
tom

Post by tom »

Glad you are happy with the new magellan 500. I have been looking a the some one. Do they have a bike mount? Or can you just put it in your backpack? Will it pick up sats in a back pack?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yeah it picks up 95% of the time in a backpack. Ram Mounts are the only mounts worth buying IMHO.

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Magellan makes a good unit. A buds got the XL on his dual sport DR650. Thing is great. Not sure how the Ram mount works on the Magellan models, but on my Garmin GPSMAP60CS it was less than stellar. It allowed the unit to dismount from the bike in a nasty whoop section. Busted up the anteanna and scratched the screen. Garmin repaired the unit. I have a buddy builing an aluminum mount for it. As soon as I get it back, I'll post some pics.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... Cookie=Yes

Here's what I think is a pretty good deal.