Titax oversized front brake rotor, SS brakeline, and pads

Feedback on products.....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Titax oversized front brake rotor, SS brakeline, and pads

Post by skipro3 »

***EDIT***
This is on a 1999 KDX220R with the KX USD forks installed.

Well, I finally figured out how to install the dang thing; the adaptor used to push the caliper out so it will work with the oversized rotor was a pain to figure how it installed. Once I realized it replaced part of the existing caliper and was not in addition to it, then it made sense. The rotor and caliper adaptor did not come with instructions or even a picture on the box of what it looked like. Their website is so basic and lacking information as to be worthless. Other than finding out they are made in the Chech Republic, there was no useful info there.

So, I got it installed and tested it. It bolts right up and was easy as anything to get on as far as fit and finish. No need to size, resize, modify or push, grunt, swear, etc. The first testing was a break-in of the rotor and pads to seat them right. Once that was done, I really worked at stopping the bike from speed without locking up the front wheel. There is more power in stopping the bike now. Two fingers will lock up the front.

EDIT, gotta go, I'll finish later!
Last edited by skipro3 on 04:03 pm May 08 2005, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

One thing I do notice is that just before the front wheel locks up, there is a pretty loud howl from the brake. Probably a vibration of the floating disc components. Not a bad thing I guess, just unexpected at first.

I worked that brake pretty hard and got it real hot; too hot to touch the disc, in order to see how the unit acted under hard use. It worked fine. No brake fade at all.
I also installed a braided stainless steel brake line that is routed Honda CR style. It too works great. No fade when pressed hard like the stock brake line which can change volume as pressure is applied. As far as the routing of the CR style brake line, I had to remove the front fork guard guide and drill a hole in the guide to route the line through in order to keep it in place. I have already bought a new set of carbon fiber fork guards that don't require the fork guard guide. I will pop rivit a guide like this one:

This brakeline was easy to install. Just unbolt the old line, route the new one and bolt up using the standard KDX specs on torque and bleeding instructions. The stiff outer sleeve over the middle 2/3's of the line adds rigidity to keep it in place and both ends are very flexable and won't kink up or bind during full travel of the forks.

I installed new pads at the same time: Galfer brand, same as the brake line. These are sintered metal pads on a copper or copper like backing plate. They fit perfect and didn't fad during hard use and heated up quite hot.

So, I guess this review is for the stainless steel braided brake line, brake pads AND the oversized rotor. All these products worked as good or better than I could have asked for. No problems with any of the products in regards to quality control, fit, etc. Instructions for all the products are non-existant so be sure you know what you are doing before starting any of these upgrades. The KDX manual will suffice for instruction in most cases. Where routing or parts placement, check out photos from websites like eBay to see how the finished item is supposed to look installed.

My front brake is now very strong but easily controllable. It is set up to lock the front wheel during hard, two finger input. One finger will not lock up, but will bring the bike under a good controlled stop in loose surface conditions. Zero fade during heavy use, low muscle input to control and quality parts. I'm happy

Any questions, just ask.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

O.K.!!!!
I've done it! All complete and several photos in the gallery under my skipro3 album in a subalbum called, "Front brake mods"

Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Now THAT'S good info!! Thanks!!

Was the backing plate you used on there originally, or did you make it? It looks real good.

If you made it, did you have to slice a hole in the fork guard?

I have something along the same lines in mind. Thought I'd probably keep the guides but only to catch the edges of the fork guard..would have to cut out the middle for clearance of the brakeline.

BTW...is there a new stainless brakeline under that sheathing?

Will be interesting to find out how that oversized rotor holds up. I'm worried about it being a leading glass chin as it is (no more fork underhang to protgect it). Having it stick out there even farther certainly wouldn't ease my mind any.

Brakeline route looks great!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

canyncarvr wrote: Thought I'd probably keep the guides but only to catch the edges of the fork guard..would have to cut out the middle for clearance of the brakeline.
That is what I was going to look at doing. Good idea CC.

Looks great Ski...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Thanks for the compliment CC. Did you view the subfolder in my gallery for more photos? The backing plate is made of two metal angle braces I bought at a hardware store. They are used to reinforce wood boards I think, that are joined at 90degree angles. They came predrilled, which was fine for the pop rivets but the other holes didn't match the clamp assembly, so I had to rat-tail those out a bit. Using an anvil, I gently reshaped them to the curvature of the guards. I used my old guards as practice so I didn't screw up the carbon fiber ones. I cut a slit in the carbon fiber guards using a roto-saw. It worked great with the guard in a vise. The two angle braces, used back-to-back, have a dimple right on the fold to reinforce them. I had to notch out the guards to accomidate that so the braces would fit snug against the guards without distorting it. Also, I beveled the slot to accomidate the slight curve of the bend in the angle braces. Rather than two angle braces back-to-back, try to find a chunk of metal that is shaped as a T beam. It would be a bit more sanitary in the fit and finish. Since I used steel. I coated the two angle braces with epoxy after they were rivited in place. It was a clear, 5 minute, epoxy that can be worked after it sets. If I had painted the braces black, then they would have almost looked molded in to the guards with that epoxy. Look at the photos, you will see.

Yes, that is a stainless steel brake line. It comes with a thick sheath over the center section for rigidity. The sheath has nice rubber trim on each end for a snug fit and it can slide up and down the brake cable. The ends of the brake cable are quite flexable and floppy so the sheath is required.

Notice the copper colored part of the caliper. That is the part exchanged with the stock caliper to relocate so it matches up with the rotor surface.

Time will tell if the rotor is too exposed from the harm that might be out there. I made sure I got a floating rotor so it should be able to take some hits. In the case of a large hit, the center part should flex, and the StainlessSteel ring remain true. At less than $50 I felt it was worth the test.

Oh, while testing and doing stoppies while doing so, I discovered I damn near ruined my brand new M12 front tire. The bike was stopping so agressively, that the backside of the knobbs are undercut, leaving the knob surface a bit of overhang. Crap!!! Oh, well, on pavement this brake is da bomb! It can be easily controlled to a stoppie, or with weight back, a skid with only one finger pressure. Albeit 2 fingers is easier and less tireing. In the dirt, I haven't tried it much as I don't have any dirt I can get up to speed on to see how well it will bleed it off and still be in control.

I'm quite sure though, that my arm pump and hand cramping from squeezing the brake days are over. This situation may be unique to riding areas that are mountainous. I have long downhills, some 2000 foot desents when I'm on the brake for several minutes at a time. The old brake line would warm up and bulge, requireing more and more pressure on the brake to compensate. Also the heating would cause a bit of brake fade as well, until, even with all my strengh, I couldn't lock the front wheel if I wanted to . This set up should allow me to control the brake on decents with a single or a couple of fingers using some light to moderate pressure.
We'll see.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yep. Looked at all of 'em. Several times. Noted the copper caliper piece.

Good job!! I didn't think the backing plate would have come with the guards...it looked way too good to be 'included'. But...with the ridge in the middle I wondered how you went about fashioning the piece.

One wouldn't have been enough? I looked at that a couple of times...I don't see two thicknesses..

That OEM brakeline clamp has two different diameters to fit the OEM line. Does your new brakeline have the same contour? THAT would be something.

We'll give it good run 21/22!!! ;)

I'd hoped to have my KX front-end on by then...but the machinist has pushed my stuff out about three times ('Next week!') now. I thought I had plenty of time having taken them in WEEKS ago!

Poop.

Oh well...I can still smoke and spit with the best of 'em!!! :wink:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Added more photos in the gallery so check those out as well. The subfolder titled "Front brake mods"

Yes, one angle plate would have been enough, but why add one when two will fit? Why rivit when epoxy would have done? Why epoxy when rivets would have done?

Because I do everything in overkill. Actually because I usually find stuff I've done in the past that was "enough" not to be true.

BTW, the carbon fiber guards about a zillion times stronger than the plastic ones. WoW!!! I did have to rat-tail the holes just a bit to get them to fit just where I wanted them to. Upon initial bolt up, the tops tipped out too far and to the outside as well. A light filing on the front holes; the inside hole at the top, the outside hole at the bottom, then the side hole at the top and a bit forward, it all fit perfect then. On the other leg, only the side hole needed to be filed a tad; at the top. I didn't re-use the metal donuts from the stock plastic guards since the holes are at the screw size diameter. If I find the carbon fiber guards starting to fatigue at the mounting points, I'll open the holes up and install the crush spacers. I really don't think that will happen though.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Thanks for the extra pics!

I figured I had the 'back to back' part of the plates wrong..couldn't tell how the pieces extended through the guide.

I do now!

Damn fine work!

I like the way the brakeline snugs up against the inside. Looks real good!!

Dang!! Kin I ride with you?? :wink:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Excuse me, my head is swelling.
I am happy with the outcome, usually projects like this end up like your S/A; seeing the inside of the garbage can. I tell you, there are times, I feel like just tapeing a 50 dollar bill to the trash can so the collector can appreciate how much the junk inside is worth.

But then, sometimes, not often, it all works and I get the crazy idea I know what I'm doing. But not to worry; God, karma, Mother Nature, riding buddies, all have a way of bringing me back into reality. Can you ride with me? HellNo! Then you will discover that even with every bell and whistle known to exist, I'm still a bad rider. Not that it matters, as long as I'm enjoying myself, that's what counts! Besides, who am I do deny you the pleasure of watching me ride incredably bad. Grab a helmet cam and follow me for a while. The video could make you some money!
Jerry

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

BTW, now you probably understand what I mean when I say an extruded piece of T shaped aluminum would be better than my 2 steel angle braces. It would be cleaner for sure. I think that epoxying that to the brace would be enough and then the rivets would not be needed. anodize the aluminum black, (a small bottle of solution from a hardware store) then epoxy and it would look moulded to the guard. Very neat and sanitary.

You won't be riding your new forks? Dang!! I was hoping that would be completed by then. Next time!
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yep. Got the 'T' part.

Great! We'll laugh at each other as we both wonder where Marty went!! :roll:

I haven't heard from m0rie or FarmerJ.....why don't YOU gripe at 'em.

...Wibby's looking for his green bike under a pile of something or other.......

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I did a "Reply All" to your last group e-mail, so I have their e-mail address.
Boys, if your out there listening, don't make me come looking for you. You know I will.

Man, some guys you just have to twist their arm and force them to have fun.

Fish n Chips! Yum! Pizza and Beer, oh yeah!
French pressed coffee. A treat!

Well, I'm off to San Diego to watch my youngest son walk for his Bachelors, my oldest son walk for his Masters, and at 4am tomorrow morning we are all three going into Mexican waters for Tuna! The bite is on, so look for more fishing photos in the gallery.
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sure is a purdy setup Ski!

Love the Carbon Fiber... Nice job! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "