Craftsman torque wrench

Feedback on products.....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Craftsman torque wrench

Post by Colorado Mike »

Fair warning, this might be one of those things that only bugs me. Okay, I noticed that most of the torque specs for a Jap bike are kinda weird numbers when given in ft/lbs. This is of course because they are converted from normal numbers given in Newton/meters. We work in metric all the time with these bikes, and it's loads easier than keeping track of 11/64ths and silly numbers like that.

So, I look up a torque spec in my manual and they graciously include the metric (easier) equivalent ( say 50 N/m just for grins) I look at the back of my Craftsman torque wrench, and the numb-sculls have engraved the settings as conversions from the standard side at the same increments. So you end up with no 50 N/m, but an often used 47.69 N/m instead. I realize you can guestimate the proper setting , and these $70 wrenches are certainly not calibrated by those 5 secretive Swiss guys that run the world, but what kind of retard is paid to design these things and thinks this is the way a tool should be?

Uh, rant mode off..
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Why do you think I shop at Harbor Freight? Hmmmm? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I LOVE harbor Freight!!!
But I also love Craftsman stuff too, so go figger.

There's no reason that the metric side wasn't scribed and marked for even #'s that I can figure out.

50 N/m?!? Wow! That's, like what? over 300 ft/lbs?

My wrench (a no-name brand) has as the following for size on the metric side of things:
(daN.m)
M. KGS.

I don't know about the (daN.m) over the M. KGS stands for, but the M equates to Foot on the english side and the KGS equates to the pounds on the english side.
So, is M/KGS the same as N/m?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

well the 50 N/m thing was just hypothetical. except of course on those little nuts that hold the front axle clamp on.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol: Yeah....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Colorado Mike, it sounds like you are almost aggravated enough to buy a Newton - meters torque wrench. :grin:

skipro3, the wrench he is talking about is a Sears Craftsman Microtork (the used to be $70, now $75 torque wrenches they offer). I have two of them. It is set by turning the handle a certain number of clicks to get to the proper torque setting. He is using a foot - pounds torque wrench, so it advances a certain amount of foot - pounds with each turn of the handle. Since the foot -pounds and Newton - meters scales (or Kg - meters scales for that matter) do not match up, the fractional N/m equivalent is listed.

Kg - m is not the same as foot - pounds or Newton - meters. Where have you heard Kg - meters before???? Suspension springs! :grin:

Also, metric is Kg - meters or for the little stuff Kg - centimeters.

Sears has three N/m wrenches listed in the catalog, $160, $180 and $200. If those won't do, there is always Snap - On, starting at a little over $200 each. I am just thankful to have my "I hope this is close" Sears Microtork wrenches.

To all: Don't forget to loosen the tension when you are finished!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128