Townsend Knee Brace

Feedback on products.....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Townsend Knee Brace

Post by Jeb »

Compliments of my ortho surgeon and decent insurance I got fitted for a custom knee brace worthy of my intended use: riding! It's made by Townsend which also makes some high-end off-the-shelf stuff as well.

I was very close to picking out some asterisk cells and this opportunity popped up when I asked my surgeon if he could write a prescription and he replied, "Sure". So I still need one for my right knee but I might spring for another Townsend. I'm not sure it's going to be a custom fit rig like this one - they're $1,100 - but I'll settle for one of their less-pricey versions . . . they range from $400 - $700 a piece.

Craftmanship is superb. It's carbon fiber with titanium pieces, and it's got a built in patella protector from EVS. The inner liner is very snugly velcro'd but is removable so that liners without the patella cup can be installed for other sports. Fit, of course, is awesome as well but it should be since it was made based on a cast molded onto my leg. The prosthetics guy said I should wear it next to the skin but one of the buckles has a tendency to pinch loose skin when I'm flexing it hard so I'm wearing the wicking-type warm-weather long underwear. Quite comfortable worn this way. I can completely flex my knee and it doesn't get in the way or bind during flexion. It's got these little "modules" you can swap to limit extension. I've got the 5-degree module . . . just because. VERY lightweight.

If you're willing to spend the dough this is a fantastic knee-brace.

A few snaps:

"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
reymund77

Post by reymund77 »

I'm now contemplating to get Knee brace with the Asterisk ranking top of the list now for its price, value and comfort level among brands like EVS and PodMX etc...now tis opens up to another options

Used to have the EVS Vision which is so strong and tough not to say heavy as well.... it just never snap..instead, my femur snapped...not sure if knee brace should be that way.

Tried the Asterisk and love the design...the side hinge or metal is not that rigid and I guess upon strong impact they would snap..sorta crumpet zone....reducing impact to the knee/ligament or femur....

Next the lacing system I guess is better and more comfortable then straps which will bind or be uncomfortable over long trail ride

Hope more guys here can advise and offer another insight to the brace before my purchase.....only ride trail (can be as long as 2-8 hrs enduro rides/race) and don't think will attempt MX jumps this year.......m prepare to pay abit more and get better stuff then settle for cheap knee guards or lousy knee brace...ACL ops or fracture are much more EXPENSIVE then a pair of good brace......any here on asterisk or CTi or EVS Web etc?...pls advise the pros and cons of owning one