MSR and Bridgstone heavy duty tubes

Feedback on products.....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

MSR and Bridgstone heavy duty tubes

Post by skipro3 »

I bought a front and rear tube for taking on rides in case I got a flat while away from home. I got the MSR Heavy Duty Tube 110/90x19 Part# 1017730009 and a MSR Heavy Duty Tube 80/100x21 Part# 1017730011. They are heavier than the original tubes but not by much. They seem fine but I managed to pinch both of them when I changed out my tires this past weekend. My fault. But still, they just don't seem to be really heavy duty tubes to me. A better tube is the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Motorcycle Tube 110/90x19 Part# 1003130004 and Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Motorcycle Tube 80/100x21 Part# 1003130006. The Bridgestone is like 3 times thicker than a stock tube. A little more difficult to work with, but I bet I'll never get a pinch flat with those bad boys on my bike. I plan to run a lower air pressure with these because of how heavy they are. I bet they weigh more, but so what? It's unsprung weight. They cost $5 to $7 more than the MSR's. I'll try and patch the MSR and keep them as spares or loaners to someone out there some day. I've come across several guys over the years in staging areas and on trails with flats but no spare tire. It would be good karma to pass along a serviceable tube and that's about what I would consider using the MSR for.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
GS

Post by GS »

So, I'm not the only one who pinches tubes when changing them?

I managed to kill 2 MSRs while changing just a single tire.
Unbelievable!

I certainly agree that not all 'heavy' tubes are truly heavy-duty!
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

No you are not the only one to pinch brand new pinch resistant tubes. In my defense and if you want truly HEAVY DUTY in a tube,check the MOOSE RACING heavy duty tube.Good God man.This tube is the thickest tube I have ever encountered and are advertised as much while selling FOR LESS than the others.
Ain't nothing wrong w/riding on a well patched tubed,one area I excell in.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Ski, thanks for the writeup, I plan on going to a HD tube in the rear next time I change a tire. I'll look into the Bridgestones you mentioned. I've pinched my rear once already and now I run 14PSI in fear of another flat.
The HD tube should allow me to run 12.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I bought an MSR heavy duty last week for the 65. I agree with your observation. It was just barely thicker than a standard tube. I have bought other brands (can't remember which ones) that were really thick. Maybe they were extra HD.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I use MSR or IRC Ultra Heavy Duty tubes, they usually come in a box two to three times the size of a normal tube

If you have any trouble installing such a tube you are probably doing someting wrong
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Hey Ski, heavier tube=more traction! Its like putting antifreeze in a tractor tire for weight........It = traction, and torque! Prolly not much though... :wink:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I used the bridgestones on my XR and they are unbelievably thick. They are used by many dualsport folks due to their durability. Next tire change will by the bridgestone tube with the Pirelli MT43 trials tire.
'
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

It's flywheel weight. :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »