Arai Helmet

Feedback on products.....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arai Helmet

Post by skipro3 »

Well, if you've been reading my reviews, then you know I have a helmet that I installed a quick release buckle to and that I find hard to use. So hard that I was concerned it couldn't remove my helmet if I somehow injured my hand, or that it wouldn't latch and cause an injury if I sustained a head crash. So, I bought a new helmet. I've ridden 4 or 5 times now with it. It's a Arai VX-Pro 3 Helmet Large Aluminum Silver Part# 1193890013 from, you guessed it; Rockymountain. It cost about $435. I got a solid color one because I can't see paying the extra for a fancy paint job. Helmets get banged up and paint gets destroyed. What's the fun in getting bummed out over some scratches on your helmet. I got a silver color, they call it aluminum, because I want a helmet that won't absorb solar heat and I don't much care for white helmets.
The helmet itself is very nice looking, comfortable and comes with a nice helmet bag. It fits as perfect as any helmet I've ever worn. I've got a big head (no comments from the peanut gallary please!) and an even bigger forehead. I'm usually having to modify my helmet by removing the liner and taking a grinder to the foam in the forehead area to get it to fit. Otherwise, I have a big red strawberry from wearing afterwards. Also, I'm usually either completely removing or unstitching and shaving down the foam in the cheek pads. They squish my face so hard I look like a kissy fish-face. Anyways, this Arai fits perfect for me in every way. Very snug and even pressure everywhere. There are several vents on the helmet. I can't tell by feel if they are open or closed. I would like to just plain leave them open at all times, but like anything else, if it's open, then eventually it will close itself. If find they are changing, probably from when I move it into and out of the helmet bag. Small stuff really, since the helmet is great every other way. I fit my helmet with goggles that use Quick Straps. (another review coming up soon on the Quick Straps!! Stay TUNED!) I use A.R.C. Corona goggles too. (Yes, a review coming soon on them as well). The goggles and quick straps work great. the goggles fit the helmet opening as if the two manufacturers traded specs or they used the other to design their product. Very nice fit. The sticky part of the quick strap holds onto my helmet perfectly. Follow the instructions on mounting them and you won't be dissapointed. The visor on the helmet works great. I did a ride a couple weekends ago. There were 9 very, VERY aggressive riders. Roosting was the rule that day due to a light rain the day before. The visor worked great. I would just duck and ride. There are even louvers in the visor to see through when ducking. Not that you can see much, but it's better than riding blind for the few seconds you dip your head. I hit several low branches and rode through tunnels of manzanita. The helmet held up fine. Usually when I hit a tree limb with my helmet, it sounds loud. I think these whacks were much quieter. I could hear fine wearing the helmet too. When stopped, I would usually take my helmet off to cool my head and to hear the other guys I ride with and what they have to say. I don't hear well at all. Just ask my wife!! I found I could leave my helmet on most times; it didn't cause undue sweating and I could hear most conversations. I did remove it a few times to have photos taken though. I run a quiet spark arrester so if your bike is loud, most KDX's aren't, then you might need to think about ear plugs. O.K. That's it. I like the helmet and although they are pricey, I don't care. A comfortable helmet that instills confidence in your riding and is the best insurance for injury prevention helps me to ride more aggressively.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
N8Strine

Post by N8Strine »

Hey I also have this same helmet just with the fancy graphics. I love the way the helmet fits, its very comfortable and light feeling. Also the two vent caps up top of the helmet do come off which I couldnt figure out at fisrt, but if you turn the little red switch to the side you can then pull down on the lever that opens and closes the vent and it will pop right off.