Quick release helmet buckle

Feedback on products.....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quick release helmet buckle

Post by skipro3 »

When I rode street bikes, it seemed like the helmets came equiped with a release that was basicly a belt-buckle type device. The best was on my Nolan helmet and had a plastic strap and notches so it ratcheted in as I pushed the strap into the lock side.

Anyway...........
I wanted a quick release for my dirt bike helmets so I could take them on and off quickly and without having to remove my gloves every time. I had a good one long ago but couldn't remember the brand. Still can't. So I ordered one from Rockmountain. Just about anything I buy these days comes from them. It is the: Echo Quick Release Buckles Black Part# 1006190001 for $7.95. Well, it's not the best. I will keep your helmet shut but in order to install it, I had to chop off the D rings on the straps of my original helmet. The mechanisim is stiff to operate and hurts my fingers to use it. It is hard to both buckle and to unbucke. One time I couldn't even get it off without finding a mirror to see what the heck I was doing. I don't recommend it. Maybe mine was somehow bent or has some manufacturing issue. The thing is; I had to cut my D rings so now I'm stuck with it. Well, not really. I bought another helmet and keep this one as back up. Yea, I dislike it so much I went ahead and bought another helmet. I'm concerned it won't latch someday when it's really needed or I will hurt my hand in a ride and not be able to take the freaking thing off. If anyone knows of a good quick release buckle for helmets, let me know.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

I have these on every helmet in our household (6) and only my 7 year old has difficulty with them.
Some how he gets it twisted so only 1/2 of the clip in and then its really stuck.

I think yours may be bent or maybe your getting it twisted like my boy does.

FWIW you dont have to cut the D rings off (yea too late), none of ours are cut I just position them to the outside (or below) the black plastic part of the clip.
Its a little snug getting it together, but its fine once its finally installed
07 KTM 640 Adventure