Slime

Feedback on products.....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Slime

Post by skipro3 »

This is a review of the Green Slime used to plug holes in tires. It's purpose is to stop air leaks temporarily when out riding. I discovered that if the hole in the tire tube is in the tread area, then it works. The more air pressure, the better it seals. For example; 15 lbs in a rear tire and it leaks, slowly....

25 lbs in the rear tire and it doesn't leak. Hmmmm. Like I said; it's good for getting a temporary fix. If the hole is a pinch flat or from a tire iron, it's a crapshoot if it'll hold. In order to work, the tube must be tight against a solid surface, a pinched tube is not on the flat of the tube, it's on the side of the tube. My tube would not hold air in that spot once mounted up and filled with air. Maybe if I were riding it immediately, then the goop would be distributed out that far, but in normal riding, the slime is pushed to the tread area by centrifugal force. A sidewall pinch on the tube isn't going to get enough slime to patch it, and if by some means it does, then it won't stay patched bucause of the flex and that the slime is migrating towards the tread area when the tire is spinning. For me, I think the spare-tire-in-a-can works better. STIAC is messier than Green Slime, but it drys when it hits air and makes a more permanent patch. STIAC is also pressurized so when it's put into the tube, it inflates the tube at the same time. Slime forces you to remove the valve stem. That can get lost if you are not careful. Disastrous in the woods!!! With any of the STIAC products, you just screw the filler tube onto the schrader valve, press the trigger and fill the tire up.

O.K., that's it. I don't recommend the Green Slime and I do recommend taking a can of spare-tire-in-a-can whenever you are heading out for a day in the woods
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
2FAST

Post by 2FAST »

Im with ya I have a slow leak in my rear and bought slime for tube tires put in the rite amount and it made one ride roughly 4-5 hours and started leaking and now will not hold air for more than 30-minz. For the price of the slime which was $10 bucks and some change I could have put 5 or 10 more dollars with it and bought a tube :mad: WASTED MONEY!!! But on tubeless<<<< tire's it work's great I use it in my atv and love it. Hope It's ok Ski for me too add my lil input with yours....
2005 KDX 200
2005 Raptor 350
2007 Grizzly 400
2005 Bruin350
1995 Bayou 300
1995 Magnum 425
1986 XR 250
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The more reviews based on experience, the better!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I always put slime in initially... not after the fact. That was before... I don't run it at all anymore... ultra heavy duty tubes are better insurance.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

In the old days I ran fix-a-flat in all my bike tires as a preventative measure. It really worked and I'd use it today if I didn't change tires so often.
Jerry