Tusk Brake Pads

Feedback on products.....
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Tusk Brake Pads

Post by skythrasher »

I thought I would try a set of these pads on the rear of my 01 200. I purchased the cheaper of the two versions that RM offers. I set one of the trip meters on my Watchdog when I installed them. Let me first say that I AM NOT a brake dragger. I use way more front brake than rear and wear out two sets of front pads before rears. I usually run EBC sintered pads and have good feel and wera from them. I always change pads well within the service limit because I am picky about the feel of the brakes. I change the fluid every 100 miles at the max sooner during racing season.

I installed pads and road a 26 mile loop at Mill Creek. http://www.fs.fed.us/oonf/ozark/recreat ... creek.html

The feel was good and they performed well. The terrain is rather rough with lots of elevation change, conditions were perfect not to wet not to dry. After this ride there was no abnormal wear that I coould see by looking at the thickness of the pads.

Last weekend I rode the River Valley Dirt Riders http://www.rvdrs.com
Poker Enduro. It was almost 16 miles of hell mud. At the end the pads were toast. They are completely gone. nothing left. That is 41 miles, not much. I know that mud eats pads but 16 miles. You get what you pay for.

However two good things about this exp.
1. They work really good in the dry.
2. I call RM and they offered to either replace them or pay the shipping for a different brand. Seems fair to me.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I had the same kind of experience with them BUT I used the carbon? kind in wet muddy conditions, lasted about 10 miles :blink: and I'm not a rear brake dragger either.
The one made for the mud (can't remember if it's the carbon or the sintered kind, think it's the latter) work ok in wet, and the dry ok in dry (for me)
Another thing I believe made it worse, my rotor was quite grooved, with a lip and all, replaced it with a kx rotor I had laying around, and so far I believe it made quit a difference, I rode in the same muddy condition with worn pads and after 2 rides, they look the same. Time will tell!
cyclenutz

Post by cyclenutz »

Damn.. I wish I saw this thread before I ordered front and rear Tusk sintered metal from Rocky. Oh well
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

If it makes you feel any better I went ahead and took them up on the offer of a free set. As is turns out I didn't have the cheaper set I had the sintered set. I got some new brake pins because I think they may have been part of the problem. Also could have been a bad set. We'll see and I'll post the results.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
808hondacrguy

Post by 808hondacrguy »

Ive used the sintered on my KTM and on my boys KDX, and have had good luck on both bikes. Great feel,excellent stopping power,and seem to last as long as the EBC's. Sorry they didnt work out for you guys.
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

-1 on the Tusk rear brake pads. I ride in muddy, wet conditions and these pads were squeeling at about 50 miles of use. I removed them last night and there was no pad left. I couldn't believe it. Like 808hondacrguy, they worked very well, but for me, they did not last long.

Too bad I have 1 more set to go through. :cry: What pads have been good for folks?
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

There are only two kinds of pads that I have had any luck with, and they both work about as good as the other. OEM or EBC/MXS. OEM works great comes with heat shield. EBC/MXS works great comes with brake pin. Take your pic can't go wrong.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

On our XC race quad, we go through lots of brake pads. The Galfers seem to hold up the best. Depending on the track we can sometimes get as many as three races from one set of pads. EBC 1-2 races. Tusk aren't worth the time to mount them up. Haven't really seen anything from tusk worth a crap for serious riding. Don't skimp on brake pads, that $15-$20 you save on price can easily ruin a good days riding and the cheap pads will cost you more in the long run.
Dewey
02 -KDX220