MSR shifter

Feedback on products.....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

MSR shifter

Post by Colorado Mike »

I got one of these for my KDX , but there was no way it was going to fit, it jammed the magneto cover bad. So, no problem, My kid has a KX85, and it fits that too. I took his stocker , and put the MSR on his bike.

Well, luckily he was just practicing today and not racing. That total piece of crap stripped out and wouldn't allow the bike to go into 1st. He didn't crash at all, no stomping on the shifter either.

I went and got him an OEM shifter, but I recommend you avoid the MSR unit, it's a waste.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Thanks for the headsup. My shifter is bent and I was thinking about picking up a MSR unit from a local shop. I'll avoid it now. Is there another option besides OEM? I haven't found one yet.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

By OEM, I mean I went with a Kawy part, but not the KDX one. I have a KX85 shifter on my bike.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If we're talking about the same thing.....I changed my mind!

I got the MSR-X (I think it is) shifter. It's forged aluminum. It's pretty. I needed to do something about my already-welded-once OEM broke-springed wobbler.

I carried it around in my bag for about three months, not wanting to be inconvenienced by the breakage of it all.

Put it on a few weeks back. I do have a cover spacer (Steahly FWW). Fit in that area is fine. Can't say why CM's didn't.

It does have a bit of a fitment problem. Placed where I wanted it, I couldn't shift into 1st gear. The shifter hit my skid plate bracket. That could have been resolved, but I simply moved it up on notch. That turned out to be just fine, anyway.

I reefed on it pretty good, knowing from this post and other reports I've heard that the thing wasn't going to last. Mine is attached with an allen-head bolt. I put a combination wrench on the allen to get enough leverage to make it dam-good'n-tite.

Checked it after one ride. An easy ride at that..flagging for an event. It was loose! Reefed on it summore.

It's stayed tight for the last three rides.

I wonder if it's a problem with the spline mesh. If the splines weren't quite right, that would account for it getting loose in such short order.

IF you don't check it REAL soon after putting it on and retighten it, it's not going to last for diddle.

I'm a pretty soft-touch when it comes to shifting. I'm not standing, pounding, jamming on the thing thinking I'll shift faster if I abuse it.

I bought an OEM one, too. It's at the machine shop right now getting 'fortified'.

I don't think my original one broke due to boot-busting. More likely crashing. I bent the thing back so I could reach it more than once.

So...if you get one'a these levers...tighten it..then check it at least a couple of times. It's not going to stand being loose!

imo and all that hullaballo.........

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

What did you do to "fortify" your shifter? My OEM shifter cracking where the spine clamp and the shifter met. I took it too school and welded it together with some beefy 7018 and its been working like a champ. I wouldnt mind making sure its stronger though...
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'll post a pic of it.

It's got a bit of 'blocking' on the backside, between the spline clamp and the 'up' turn of the shifter.

It's welded low on the clamp..to give the metal as much chance to move (clamp) as it can get..considering something is welded to its backside.

Mine worked fine after it was welded. It broke in the same place yours cracked.

As discussed with the welder guy (I've never touched a welder myself), making the shifter stronger is good only to a limit. TOO strong and it won't bend when you smack it..all of the smacking force will go directly to the shaft.

Don't want that.

I'd rather obliterate the shift lever than break the shift SHAFT!

Consider the source

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Great, 'eh?

When I was talking to Mr. WelderMan and he mentioned welding to the back side, I thought, 'I can't think of any frame member that's in the way of doing that.'

So I said, 'Sure!'

Nope! No frame member there!!

108 links of whirring, spinning 520 chain?

Uh...yeah.

Looks like I'll have to modify the modification........ :cry:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 10:06 pm Nov 14 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol: Hard to tell what it is at that angle!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

:hmm:

There is another angle you'd like to see?

Nothing TO see..just what you KNOW (should know) fits in that space. The space that ain't there no moh.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Put it on eBay and don't say anything.... I'm sure it would sell! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Of course it would! It's fortified!

That's a brand new shifter I had welded on. I'm not selling it to nobody (at a $$ loss..and that ain't too likely about now!)

Consider the source

thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

That was abit more than what I had envisioned. I was thinking of putting a triangular gusset between the clamp and the arm to hold the welded portion that has already cracked. That should also solve the problem with the chain...

How much did you pay for that fortification? Im curious...
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It was more than I had envisioned myself. What you describe is exactly what I had in mind..a gusset type fix. When he suggested something else, I knew I should wait..check it out AT the bike for fit..but I figured I could always REMOVE some metal. It's the ATTACHING the metal part that I have no tools for or knowledge of.

About twice what I figured, considering I think the whole thing would take only a few minutes. He's done favors for me before..so it all works out. Considering, too, that he's been nice enough to take on some pretty silly little stuff (turning down the inside lip of grease seals, making tools to do the job) I value his availability. I've got a pipe on my street bike that is going to need some work done on it pretty quick..and some boob already messed with it using JB-weld (Hey! It was back on the road for a ride the next day!).

$20

Consider the source