Moto Carrier

Feedback on products.....
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Moto Carrier

Post by marco220 »

Right now I'm using a trailer to haul my bike around but I'm looking for an easier way and something smaller to store. I've looked at many receiver type carriers and was wondering if anyone out there is using one.

I like the concept of the MotoJack Rack with the hydraulics to lift up and down along with the fact that the bike is held by the center (seems that would give less sway). My concern is that the first thing to hit the pavement would be the bike's tires if it did bottom out (think driveways). I'm also a little concerned about whether there is some sort of locking mechanism in case the jack fails while driving.

I easily found 5 different brands -- wondering what others are using (pros & cons). I want something safe and stable since, after all, its my KDX out there.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've got the receiver type. They are good. I've used and sold the motojack. The jack hangs too low and I kept hitting it on stuff. Also, the bike doesn't seem too secure if you ask me. The weight of the motojack and bike caused my vehicle to swat and point the headlights towards the sky too.

The receiver type I prefer has a drop opening for the front wheel with the tiedowns pulling back towards the footpeg area. Of course, a receiver hitch with wobble, but I just use a tiedown strap from the front of the carrier to the frame of my vehicle, then tighten to take up all the slack. No more wobble. Get the lightest unit you can; aluminum for the money. Well worth the extra expense.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

Skipro, you mentioned a drop opening for the front wheel and tie dows toward the pegs... sounds like a good set up. Who makes it??
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

try out this site http://www.discountramps.com/index.htm they sell 1 for 159.99 + s/h it will cary upto 400lbs. and only weighs 36.5lbs
06 200H

GALLERY!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have an aluminum hitch plugin type like Ski, even though I have a truck. I keep it because it is easy to use, lightweight and works great. It is a complete one man operation too!
Sometime it can drag going over bumps and things but for the most part it is a great device. The best thing about it is that it doesn't get flats and you don't have to plate it.

This is it...
http://www.bdiracks.com/index_006.htm
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
tim wrote:try out this site http://www.discountramps.com/index.htm they sell 1 for 159.99 + s/h it will cary upto 400lbs. and only weighs 36.5lbs
That is a GREAT deal Tim! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Indeed!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|QBB<[/url]
marco220 wrote:Skipro, you mentioned a drop opening for the front wheel and tie dows toward the pegs... sounds like a good set up. Who makes it??
It looks like this:

From this site, follow the links:
http://www.discountramps.com/index.htm

Or just go here:
http://www.motorcycleramps.com/motorcycle-carrier.htm

Thank Tim for the link to the site. I paid $199 locally plus sales tax. This sounds like the cheapest I've heard for this carrier.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

Thanks to all for your input!!! Looks like we have a winner.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

06 200H

GALLERY!
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

Hey guys, I haven't purchased the rack yet but the more I read about them the more I get a little nervous.

I'm currently driving a 99 Blazer with a hitch rated for 400lbs tongue weight. I know that's measured at the ball which is about 9 inches from the hitch pin. Now, I'm not sure if the rating is based on the actual hitch or if it is based on vehicle tow rating.

All of racks I've looked at are about 16 to 18 inches from the pin to the center of the channel. I'm thinking that being out twice as far would reduce the capacity by about half. Judging the weight of the bike + the carrier itself (40 lbs) is going to be somewhere around 260lbs or so which is obviously over.

I saw a MC Action test of an aluminum rack using an Astro van (which I think has a weight rating of 350lbs. and they claim it was fine. My guess is that they don't take it easy on these tests either.

For those of you who are using these racks... what kind of vehicle are you driving and what weight are the hitches rated for. I don't want to make a costly mistake here by having the receiver fail. Am I just over-thinking this whole thing??? :rolleyes:
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

i drive a 99 chevy z71 with a class 2 hitch rated for 500 lb. tounge weight and i dont worry about it at all i built mine from light steal so you might be over thinking it but that is a lot of money hanging on the back i think you will be fine with 1 and will love not having to pull a trailer
06 200H

GALLERY!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I haul mine on a hitch carrier with a Subaru Forester. If that can do the job, you have NOTHING to worry about. It isn't even a 2" receiver. I have to use an adapter from my 1 1/4" receiver to a 2" receiver. That kicks the bike another 9" further out from the back of the car.
Jerry

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Wow, your a braver man than I Jerry. My brother made a hitch almost identical to the one Tim made that works really well. Its not light steel either and my suburban has no problems with it. I've got a 900lbs dead weight limit on my hitch though.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I used mine on my 97 Jeep Cherokee (little one) and 98 Chevy Work Truck with no problems.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Moto Carrier Follow Up

Post by marco220 »

Thanks for all of the previous input on this subject.

I was just about to make the purchase when someone at a nearby track gave this rack great reviews after using it for 3 years. I checked out the website and was sold on the concept so I got the Add A Bike carrier (much better deals can be found on-line + free shipping vs. the manufacturers website and they are all drop shipped from Florida).

Until yesterday I had only driven around town and it seemed fine. I drove 200 mile round trip and this thing was very stable. There is some sway on turns and big dips but I wasn't afraid of losing my bike. My buddy followed me down a country road and a potholed gravel road and he said it looked "rock solid" compared to many others he's seen.

I did add a pair of $20 low profile lights to the rail since my taillights are partially obstructed by the tires. I also added some foam pipe insulation around the upright to keep it from rubbing metal to metal against the side of the engine.

One thing I did notice is that the powdercoating is not very well done -- easily scratched and some areas were obviously not cleaned thoroughly before the process was done. Not a big deal to me -- a little sandpaper and black spraypaint when necessary.

Overall it seems like a good setup so far.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

glad to hear that you are happy i love the one i built even though i use a pickup to haul with it is soooooo much easer to load and unload and leaves the bed open
06 200H

GALLERY!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Wow, this thread has been extremely helpful. I'm in the market for a carrier for some relatives and their new dirtbike, and I thought my only option was the $350 Moto Jack Rack. Thanks for all the great info!!! :supz:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
KDXdog

Post by KDXdog »

Been using one for a few seasons now, originaly on a Grand Caravan. It was low, but I had no problems. Now it's used on an Xterra and a Pathfinder, no sweat at all.

Where I ride parking is tight, so not dealing with my trailer make things easier.

My carrier is a heavy steel **bay special, $150 inc shipping. If I had to do it again, I'd buy aluminum. The front wheel cut out is great, helps stabilize the bike when it's a one man loading affair.

Always tie down both wheels, as both can "pop" out on big bumps. I use the flat rubber bungies, no problems!

I also bolted a flat piece of aluminum diamond plate to the tongue part of the carrier, makes a shelf for strapping on a gas tank. Again, bungies keep it from moving. I usually throw a bicycle cable through the handle for extra security, just to keep it from becoming a gas bomb down the highway!
macodi

Post by macodi »

I bought the aluminum Sarge Industries model. It weighs 40 lbs soaking wet and is very sturdy. It has a simple but works well anti-wobble pin. The only thing I changed was to cut off about 6" of the receiver because it butted into my spare tire and drilled an additional pin hole so it would ride closer to my Explorer. I also added heavy duty Monroe air shocks and put about 90 lbs in them because the front end was a little loose at 70 mph. I also added a pair of magnetic trailer lights since the bike somewhat covers the vehicle tail lights. Had to attach a piece of steel to the track for the lights to stick. Aluminum isn't magnetic. You knew that too huh? :grin:

http://sargeindustries.com/product_info ... ucts_id=29
Mark