Riding backpack recommendations?

Feedback on products.....
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I'd like to get a new backpack for riding this season, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I was using my Jansport college backpack for a while, then bought a cool tactical one at a gun show. The one was great, but one of the straps fell off after a couple of months. So I went back to the Jansport, which is suprisingly holding up really well for all of the abuse its been thru. No tears, all the zippers work great, size is about right (could be a little smaller); I just want a little more.

Wanted something that had a strap across your chest, a pocket/hole for a camelback pouch, and not too huge, but not so small that I can't carry tools.

Any personal experience? Any of the moto stores selling a good one? Any popular ones on Amazon/Fleabay? Was just looking for any kind of input before I went shooting in the wind lol. That gun show one I got was pretty low quality, I don't want to make that mistake again. I've looked at fanny packs and thought about riding with one, I don't really want to go that route.

Any input would be much appreciated!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
raygun
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by raygun »

How many tools do you want to carry? I carry a Klim fuel pak when I race hare and hounds. It has enough room for some basic tools (tee handle socket set, vice grips, pliers, few wrenches), spare clutch and throttle cables and levers, and a first aid kit. I love it because it's not too big and I've never run out of water (3 liters).
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300
1999 Kawasaki KDX220
2003 Kawasaki KLX400SR
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Riding backpack recommendations?

Post by Tyl3r »

Hmmm... that one does look pretty good. Does it have straps that go across your chest? I was looking at the reviews, and some people were saying there isn't enough room for tools. I plan to carry basically what you have listed there. Can you carry tools with the bladder filled with water?
raygun
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by raygun »

Yes it has a chest strap with an emergency whistle on it. And there really isn't a ton of room for tools so I do have to think about what I really want in there but I am able to squeeze all those tools in plus a small washcloth, my bulky phone in an otter box and truck keys. Klim does make bigger ones if you look around on amazon.

Edit: one thing I wish i had is a waste belt/strap. Sometimes the pak likes to bounce up off my back if I hit terrain weird but that's probably on me anyway. Either way I like it a lot and it fits over my acerbic koerta well.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300
1999 Kawasaki KDX220
2003 Kawasaki KLX400SR
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

http://redrockoutdoorgear.com/large-assault-pack/

I went with this one on a 3 day ride through Big Bend National Park. Worked well, and cheap.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Nice, well thank you for the input, I really appreciate it. Exactly what I was looking for.

and oooo looks like you got me thinking about another product haha. I've been thinking about getting some type of chest/back protection. I checked out that Koerta... I like what I am seeing. That looks like it would be nice for street riding with a hoodie. Any complaints about it, since we're on the subject lol
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

B737driver wrote:http://redrockoutdoorgear.com/large-assault-pack/

I went with this one on a 3 day ride through Big Bend National Park. Worked well, and cheap.

man... that is a nice one too, price isn't bad at all. I'm nervous though because the gun show one that I bought (that lasted a short time), looked very similar, but it was smaller. What do you think about the construction of that one? Seem to be tough and hold up well? Also, did it seem bulky at all? I would imagine that the chest and waist straps would do a pretty good job of keeping it from flying around on ya.
raygun
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by raygun »

Tyl3r wrote: I checked out that Koerta... I like what I am seeing. That looks like it would be nice for street riding with a hoodie. Any complaints about it, since we're on the subject lol
I can't speak to street riding with it but I wear it under my jersey when I ride dirt and it fits well under the jersey. It's tricky to get off sometimes but that's just because it fits well. I like the kidney belt as well. I don't ride over my head so I have yet to fully test it (via a crash) but I do feel comfortable and protected.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300
1999 Kawasaki KDX220
2003 Kawasaki KLX400SR
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

This last season I got one of these. My son raved about it for climbing and it looked like it would work well for the conversion I wanted to do which was basically a DIY Fly Stingray (like here). I modified my old Thor chest protector by taking off the back plate and fabricating some velcro and stretch straps to join it all together. I love it. The pack says it's 15 liter, but that includes the 3 liter bladder, so it's more the size of a small daypack, but plenty big enough for my tool roll and first aid kit. Leatt has one that looks pretty nice and is neck brace compatible to boot (here)
shopman
Supporting Member

Post by shopman »

This is what I have has all the straps fill the bladder with ice and water helps keel you cool all day and room for tools and have lite rain/windbreaker in it to. :supz:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMELBAK-MULE-D ... SwCU1YuL8J
1997 220R RB Carburetor, RB Head, FMF Woods Pipe, REVLOCK Clutch,Tubliss System Its green and pulls like a John Deere
TimmyD

Post by TimmyD »

This is not quite a backpack but I think it's much better. Ogio makes this thing called a Flight Vest and I have one and it's awesome! Distributes the weight much better than a backpack and it also has a hydration pack. Just my 2 cents. Here's a link for one.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/14 ... light+vest
2002 KDX 220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I like the Flight vest, but wish they made it with some chest protection, even if its just padding under the pockets or something. The basalt we ride in in E. WA makes for heavy,sharp, painful projectiles :kick: I could hang some pouches on my chest protector hybrid, but I haven't noticed any issues with it shifting or riding up yet.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Thanks for all of your input guys, there are even more possibilities out there than I thought lol
TimmyD wrote:This is not quite a backpack but I think it's much better. Ogio makes this thing called a Flight Vest and I have one and it's awesome! Distributes the weight much better than a backpack and it also has a hydration pack. Just my 2 cents. Here's a link for one.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/14 ... light+vest
Man that thing is sweet, I never thought about vest like that. A little more than I wanted to spend though.
shopman wrote:This is what I have has all the straps fill the bladder with ice and water helps keel you cool all day and room for tools and have lite rain/windbreaker in it to. :supz:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMELBAK-MULE-D ... SwCU1YuL8J
So far I think this one looks to be the best size. A few of my buddies have Camelback brand packs that they use and they seem to be holding up well for them too. I this this is my favorite one so far. Thanks!
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

I've been using the Osprey Talon 44 (it's a large backpack) for the last five years.

Dualsport ride n camps: Normally I'll carry a full toolkit + tubes + food + full camelbak + powerade + sleeping bag + hammock + quart of oil (2t oil) and whatever else is needed for a weekend of camping.

Singletrack day blast: tools, food, powerade + full bladder

Overnighter hike: no tools, comfort stuff, bag, hammock, food

the bag expands well enough to carry everything I need for a weekend, or deflates well enough to be a go-fer bag while doing errands. i usually buy the size up from whatever i need instead of buying three bags, one for each occasion. so far this osprey has been very comfortable (fully packed or empty), very easy to pack, and has a good harness/frame system to prevent it flopping around.

your jansport backpack (or whatever) is usually made better than the stuff you'll find covered in black webbing and "baddass!!!" written all over it at gun shows. i've ridden with guys that still used their college packs, and adapted them as needed. other guys buy a $300 bag and use it twice. the stuff at walmart is fine for a few tools and bladder.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

That is definitely a nice pack, but too big for what I usually do. I usually just go out for the day and can easily come back to my house or my truck to get stuff I need that I'm not carrying. Thanks for the input, glad to know I'm not the only one using my college backpack! lol
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I don't do Camel Back, due to them donating to causes that are against our sport. I used the Ozark Trail pack from WalMart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... k/48931713 (I actually got mine at Costco). Has lasted many years, I still have it and use it occasionally. I really prefer to use my MSR trail pack (fanny pack) for tools and a dedicated hydration only pack for water now. I find that not having tools bouncing around on my back a treat. I also feel lighter and seem to stay cooler this way. If I need to pack tubes and bigger parts, or pack a lunch etc, then I use the bigger pack. But, since I spent $125 on all 3 pieces, instead of just one, I have options.
If money is of no concern, check out Geiger and klim.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type