Android apps ride tracking ??

Feedback on products.....
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I read a thread the other day that talked about an app that I believe started with a "L" that would show your tracks and average speed max speed and some other items and can be used offline. I was in a hurry at that time and didnt write the name of the app down and have lost that thread. Tried thumbing through my history but that would take a looooong time since I get on so many forums so I need help anyone know what I'm talking about?
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Android apps ride tracking ??

Post by Julien D »

Locus is probably what you are thinking of. Maverick is also worth checking out. There are also several others.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Locus is the 1 thank you that has been driving me insane trying to figure it out!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

you can find a playlist featuring locus tutorials on my YouTube channel

I've been using it for turn by turn navigation, waypoints, tracking, geocaching, route planning, and track sharing for almost three years now. I'll never buy a Garmin because of this single application.

works offline , without cellular data, for full days of riding.

make sure your install "map tweak" so you can exploit its full capabilities.

and graph hopper
and geocaching
and contacts plugin
and tell the developer what you want to see in the future !
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

Anyone compare Locus to Osmand? I've been using Osmand for years but am always game for something better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
In dog beers, I've only had one.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

cragwl wrote:Anyone compare Locus to Osmand? I've been using Osmand for years but am always game for something better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

osmand -
good for on road navigation, it's more of a car centric application. yes, it does track recording and 'favorites' that you can use for off roading, but it's just not as flexible and usable for off roading. i'm huge fan of open street maps and what they're doing with publicly uploaded data. it just makes sense. the map rendering is some of the BEST out there for OSM maps also. it's just when you venture off a road and want to do more than point to point nav that it starts to loose it's shine which brings us to

locus -
designed from the beginning for cyclists, in particular off road (today's term is mountain biking) cycling, hiking, and anything in between. just look at the website, it's beautiful scenes, and all that: http://www.locusmap.eu/
i've been using it for a few years now on both street, dualsport, and completely off road rides/hikes/geocaching/streetnav/recording/etc and been very happy with what it can do. this app is definitely OFF ROAD centric. yes, it can display streets, and does turn by turn nav but.... who cares ? there are a million apps that do that, while you're in a city, with live traffic, and all the same stuff. THIS ONE shines on a TRAIL. you can drop 'quick waypoints' while you're riding and it saves them to your current ride folder. record a track with 5 meter resolution or 1000 meter resolution (distance between points), or set it to only record a point every XXXX seconds or XXXX minutes. it's very customizable. i just checked my statistics and have recorded about 5,000 miles of riding/driving/whatever with the app without a recorded track failure....

and let's talk about failures, in particular CRASHES.
i haven't had the application crash while recording a track yet. i've had batteries die, smashed a casio commando, and got a htc amaze so wet that it wouldn't turn on again... but the tracks were still good when i pulled them off the sdcard. :)

i've planned on and off road routes to follow with locus, while sitting by a fire, with no cellular service. then, after the ride, bluetoothed the RECORDED TRACK to another guy that forget to press "record" at some point.

it doesn't matter if it's 10 minutes to get milk, or 150 miles of dualsporting, i turn on track recording just because. never know what you'll see, or if you'll wheelie for a couple of miles and need proof. ;-)

other apps to check out:
backcountrynavigator
esri explorer
maverick / maverick pro
dualsportmaps
oruxmaps