FRP Torque Ring

Feedback on products.....
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

FRP Torque Ring

Post by C George »

Whats the general sensus on the FRP exhaust torque ring ?

A basic 1/4" spacer that just makes the header pipe longer by that amount.

I shouldn't throw this out as it's off the thread subject , but I did see a different by adding
an 1/8" spacer under the intake reed valve cage assembly. Slightly more bottom.
That's one of V-force's secrets as the reed cage is thicker than stock.
Last edited by C George on 04:38 am Sep 15 2013, edited 1 time in total.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
cornishwrecker220

FRP Torque Ring

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Its a lot to do with back pressure on a 2 stroke & restricting the flow of spent gasses leaving the header, you will have a slight gain on the bottom end but also find that by doing so you will not have as much at the top end ( shifting the rpm range slightly )..boyesen & v force make their reed cages thicker/ bigger so as to move the carb back slightly, this again will give you a gain in the low to mid rpm range..i have seen on a few road going 2 strokes ( Yamaha rd 250/350lc ) a 5mm alloy block spacer that goes infront of the reed cage (toward the cylinder) for better top end, but if you place the spacer behind the reed cage & infront of the rubber carb manifold it gives a gain more toward the bottom end...2 stroke science is a funny thing but it does work.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

FRP Torque Ring

Post by rbates9 »

I have one of the FRP torque rings on my bike. It probably does help. I can't say it does a lot, but something. And yes it is nothing more then a slice of pipe that fits into the cylinder. I have left it out and put it back in a few times and it probably gives a little better bottom end. But about every time I have removed or installed it I have also done something else to the bike so I can't be sure. It has been in for awhile now.

You could probably make one if you found some aluminum pipe about the same size as the exhaust port.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: FRP Torque Ring

Post by Julien D »

Adds some bottom end and takes a couple hundred revs off top. I spend most my time with the engine wrung out, so I didn't like it too much.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

FRP Torque Ring

Post by C George »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:Its a lot to do with back pressure on a 2 stroke & restricting the flow of spent gasses leaving the header, you will have a slight gain on the bottom end but also find that by doing so you will not have as much at the top end ( shifting the rpm range slightly )..boyesen & v force make their reed cages thicker/ bigger so as to move the carb back slightly, this again will give you a gain in the low to mid rpm range..i have seen on a few road going 2 strokes ( Yamaha rd 250/350lc ) a 5mm alloy block spacer that goes infront of the reed cage (toward the cylinder) for better top end, but if you place the spacer behind the reed cage & infront of the rubber carb manifold it gives a gain more toward the bottom end...2 stroke science is a funny thing but it does work.

I put the 1/8" spacer between the cylinder and and reed valve assembly. :?
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
cornishwrecker220

FRP Torque Ring

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I cant say if the `reed spacer` will or will not work on a kdx especially if running a v-force or boyesen block...the frp ring was developed for the kdx 200 in mind to aid with the bottom end ..it would be interesting to hear what they run like on a 220 which as we know is already tuned differently for better bottom end.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

FRP Torque Ring

Post by Slick_Nick »

I thought the final verdict on the torque ring was that it made a better paper weight than anything else?
'00 KDX 220R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: FRP Torque Ring

Post by Julien D »

Slick_Nick wrote:I thought the final verdict on the torque ring was that it made a better paper weight than anything else?

Lol!!! Yup!