anyone try or have a TR Racing "Easy Clutch"?

Feedback on products.....
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I saw this on ebay, it has me a little interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-KDX200-CLU ... 2682wt_702
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

a friend of mine had one on his 220 which i rode..the clutch pull was a little easier & helped when in technical sections like rocks & woods when your fingering the clutch...if you ride mostly in technical sections then it`s a good mod for your kdx & your wrists/forarms!!
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:a friend of mine had one on his 220 which i rode..the clutch pull was a little easier & helped when in technical sections like rocks & woods when your fingering the clutch...if you ride mostly in technical sections then it`s a good mod for your kdx & your wrists/forarms!!
Do you remember how much easier the clutch pull was? The pull on my KDX isn't too bad, but my forearm does get really sore after a day of riding the bike
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: anyone try or have a TR Racing "Easy Clutch"?

Post by kawagumby »

I've used them several times over the years. I used to ride mostly open bikes with a lot of clutch pull. They are adjustable; you can change the position of the cable end to change the leverage ratio. Truthfully though, unless you are a weakling (just kidding) you shouldn't need one with a KDX anywhere. If your bike has a harder pull either your cable likely needs to be replaced, rerouted and/or lubed. Try disconecting the cable retainer that's located on the right side of the steering head, then make sure the cable is as straight as possible everywhere else. If you still have much pull, It is likely the cable needs fixing or replacing. I use a zip tie instead of the steel retainer to keep the cable routing smoother, and it makes a noticeable difference.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I agree with kawagumby. You shouldn't need one on a KDX if everything is right. Something else worth checking, and taking care of if necessary, is for notching on the clutch basket. I know mine was somewhat hard to pull before my rebuild but after installing a new cable and an MSR AOI clutch lever it is smooth and easy now even with the Dyna Ring.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

everybodys fitness & physiology is different than anothers, as are the places we ride. the easy clutch is a cheap little mod which will help regardless of the above, try it & see how you get on...i have a magura hydraulic clutch conversion on my 220, some may say that it`s overkill but its smooth as silk, i never have to lube or adjust it & i never need to use more than 1 finger to pull it... i love it :grin:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

While I agree that everybody's fitness & physiology is different, unless you are somewhat disabled, you shouldn't need one was the point we were trying to make. My hand strength is not like it used to be when I was younger. I have issues with my hand strength and especially in the mornings when I can't even open a soda bottle. I had no problem pulling the clutch all day long with an old cable, a notched clutch basket, and a factory non-bushed worn out clutch lever assembly. Now with my new cable and the MSR clutch lever it is almost a one finger pull even with the addition of the Dyna ring.

Now, if you just want it because you want it, then by all means do so! If you have a disability then I can see it as well. I just don't want someone feeling like they need to spend money on a fix to a problem when all it really does is mask the real problem(s).
'11 GasGas EC250R
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

While I agree that the KDX clutch pull is a one finger pull, even for me and my little girly hands, I wouldn't mind making it even easier. After all, that's why I lube the cable. Two strokes are very easy to kick start but now you can get two strokes with electric starting. Not that it's needed but it saves YOUR energy which can be used for riding longer, harder, farther, etc. :grin:
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Brian wrote:While I agree that the KDX clutch pull is a one finger pull, even for me and my little girly hands, I wouldn't mind making it even easier. After all, that's why I lube the cable. Two strokes are very easy to kick start but now you can get two strokes with electric starting. Not that it's needed but it saves YOUR energy which can be used for riding longer, harder, farther, etc. :grin:
And you can see I agree there is nothing wrong with that in my post above. If you want it, go for it but it isn't a necessity.
'11 GasGas EC250R
l2f

Post by l2f »

Hello,

I have one and it's great.

l2f