KDX-H silencer in KDX-E

Feedback on products.....
f.gonzalez

KDX-H silencer in KDX-E

Post by f.gonzalez »

Ok, I´ll tell my story about mounting an H model Silencer in my KDX 1990;

I got a silencer from a KDX-200H for really few money, and for fitting it on my KDX-200E it was just cut it in three parts and turn the middle part upside down to leave it like this:

Finally it looks nice and as my brother told me (I´ve not tested it cause I am far away from home until july) it feels better than te original thin silencer of the KDX-200E... and of course it is cheaper than an aftermarket one, well, at least here in Chile it´s.

Regards :grin:
KDX 4 life !
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Nice mod. Looks factory.
David Eckel
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Kudos on the creativity. I think the E series silencer is a much nicer unit though. Re-packable, nicer aluminum housing, doesn't look like a hockey stick, etc.
f.gonzalez

Post by f.gonzalez »

mmh, I guess we are not talking about the same silencer, haha, My bike had a very thin and ugly silencer, and i´ve just realized it is not the same as the one showed in the kdx´s service manual :?
But I am pretty sure I´ve seen the same silencer in a webpage with kdx parts...
do you know why my bike had this silencer?

KDX 4 life !
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Ewww. No. I do not know what that is, but it's not a stock E series silencer! I am 100% sure that your H series silencer will be an improvement over that thing, lol.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Is that an SR silencer? I see what looks to be an oil tank inside the left number plate.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That "oil tank" is the radiator overflow. Might be an SR, looks like a metal tank in the earlier pictures. I don't think the SR used a different silencer though, not from what pics I've seen.
kawabunga

Post by kawabunga »

Kudos for your {Do it yourself solution}
I wouldn't be here another day if all I saw was show and tell pictures of new
bolt-on goodies people bought.
reviving old war-horse.
f.gonzalez

Post by f.gonzalez »

Yes, indeed it is a SR model, and I´ve just realized how different it is from the "normal american KDX" mine has 19" rear wheel, oil injection and had speedometer and other stuffs. As far as I know mostly of the KDX´s in Chile are SR, because they are famous for having oil injection.
Anyway, I still don´t know where does that silencer come from, but I know where it´ll go! :mrgreen:

Also, I´ve read that my KDX SR has a smaller carburator, which is also different because it has the system to get the oil... would it be better to take the oil injection away and change the carburator for an American one ?

Regards!
KDX 4 life !
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I like the bark busters pointing down, must protect very well from tree branches and roost...
f.gonzalez

Post by f.gonzalez »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I like the bark busters pointing down, must protect very well from tree branches and roost...
hahaha, actually I practice just Motocross, so tree branches are not problem at all... I´ve them just to protect the levers :wink:
KDX 4 life !
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
f.gonzalez wrote:Yes, indeed it is a SR model, and I´ve just realized how different it is from the "normal american KDX" mine has 19" rear wheel, oil injection and had speedometer and other stuffs. As far as I know mostly of the KDX´s in Chile are SR, because they are famous for having oil injection.
Anyway, I still don´t know where does that silencer come from, but I know where it´ll go! :mrgreen:

Also, I´ve read that my KDX SR has a smaller carburator, which is also different because it has the system to get the oil... would it be better to take the oil injection away and change the carburator for an American one ?

Regards!
Variable oil injection is a wonderful thing! I would not want to do away with it if it can be kept. I believe you could modify a 35mm KDX200 carb to work with the oil injection setup.
KDXrider1989

KDX-H silencer in KDX-E

Post by KDXrider1989 »

If it isn't too much to ask, could you post pictures of where you cut the pipe and all that you did to make it fit? I bought another KDX last year as a parts bike and the guy threw in an H-series silencer for free, IDK why he even got it because it was an E-series bike that he had :doh:
f.gonzalez

KDX-H silencer in KDX-E

Post by f.gonzalez »

KDXrider1989 wrote:If it isn't too much to ask, could you post pictures of where you cut the pipe and all that you did to make it fit? I bought another KDX last year as a parts bike and the guy threw in an H-series silencer for free, IDK why he even got it because it was an E-series bike that he had :doh:

I'll post pictures and more info next week when I'm at home with my green baby again :boogie: :boogie:

Haha CAN'T WAIT to see my KDX after 11 months !!

Regards
KDX 4 life !
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX-H silencer in KDX-E

Post by fuzzy »

Do some searching on here. The 35mm swap to an SR has been done. There has been lots of SR-specific chatter on here that you may want to browse regardless.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXrider1989

Re: KDX-H silencer in KDX-E

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I measured up the silencer to my KDX a while back and theres no way it would fit my bike without modifying my frame, and I looked closer at his bike and found it to be an SR model (I didn't know there was a difference in the frame). I should've said this earlier but forgot all about it :roll: I'll probably end up selling the silencer on here whenever I get my paypal account set up