Engine Ice coolant

Feedback on products.....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Engine Ice coolant

Post by Colorado Mike »

I put this stuff in my 220 to see if it would stop it from boiling at high altitude. I generally ride at about 8500-12000' and on warm days my bike is easy to find. It's the one impersonating a steam locomotive. If Engine Ice made any difference at all, that difference is so small that it escapes my notice. Perhaps it has some benefits at lower altitudes but for me, it was a bust. I'll probably be giving that Evans coolant a try in the future.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Could try running lead Mike! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

A little update just to be fair to the Engine Ice folks,

My problem appears to have been caused by a bad radiator cap that never really let the system pressurize. I put a 1.6 cap on and it works pretty good now. So, now I don't know if the EI would have made the motor run cooler or not. I went back to Maxxis Koolanol (sp) for cheapnis sake when I used to have to "top up the coolant and check the gas".

So, don't shy away from the product based on my account. I was wearing my ass for a hat.
Mike

'04 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for reporting after you got the cap changed. I was waiting a few months for that report. Good job on swapping it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

You got it fixed !!! Cool bananas !!! :supz:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Where did you find a 1.6 cap. All I've been able to find are 1.1 and .9 caps. Thanks!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

See if your KX250 cap will fit on your KDX. They make a 1.6 cap for the 2002 KX250, if you know anyone who might have one of those. Perhaps even someone who has looked on the buykawasaki.com site. :grin:

From my close friend, Ron:

Part Number: 49085-1073
Description: CAP-ASSY-PRESSURE
Price: $24.09
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I got mine at Performance Cycle, local aftermarket only shop in Denver. It was supposed to be for a CRF450R. I also saw that BuyKawasaki lists one for a KX500 that should fit fine (although I would prefer to keep my cap and replace everything else with a KX500). I was going to order that one, but with shipping the price got stupid. The one I ended up with is marketed by SRC - Summers Racing Components. I would think these things are pretty standardized and you could find one to fit from any make of bike. In fact, a radiator guy told me it's the same size as some Mazda pickups. He said the trick is finding the 1.6 rated one. Anyway, keep in mind that it looks like the old cap was just bad. I bet if a had a properly functioning 1.1 rated cap it would have worked too.
Mike

'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Thanks Jason. My KX250 cap does fit. How the hell did you know there was a 1.6 cap for a 2002 KX250?! You are spooky!

Mike: Thanks for the tip that your cap may have just been bad. My cap only leaks on hot days in my garage!!! I've gotten it up to 250 degrees running it and it didn't vent but just about a teaspoon full. It's just nice to know when and where I can find such a thing if I need it. My riding buddy, Doug, has a KX500. I'll check and see what his cap is too.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

BOOooOOOoooOO!! :mrgreen:

I looked on http://www.buykawasaki.com, of course.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

the stock one for a KX500 is 1.1, but they offer the 1.6 as an option.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Old_Man_Time

Post by Old_Man_Time »

Nope the 1.1 does not keep the KDX220 engine from boiling over in steep long high altitude climbs. I had the same boiling over problem. I went to the KX500 1.6 cap. They used to offer a 1.8 cap for the KX500 but not anymore. I also have gone to engine ice. I won't know if it helps until this summer when the mountain trails open up again. I hope it works cause this has been the only disappointment I have with my 220.

A friend of mine who is expert in jetting (used to be with a professional race team) says that I need to richen up the idle jet to a 45 to prevent the overheating problem. I may try that too if what I have done does not work.