Eric Gorr 225 kit first ride impressions

Feedback on products.....
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Finally got a chance to try out the fresh Eric Gorr Mo Better everything 225 kit last weekend. First of all.....I am coming from a RB modded (head and carb), V force 3, FMF woods, '04 200 which I was happy with. I just wanted a little more, and I got it.

I was a bit skeptical based on some of the research I had done about EG's work. A few years back there were some that seemed to have bad experiences. Not wanting to mess up my current setup, just in case I wanted to go back, I purchased a stock head and cylinder (thanks osobad :wink: ). I sent them off to EG and a couple of weeks later this is what I got.ImageImage[/URL[URL=http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/B737driver357/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141222_184414_zpsge3tc6i0.jpg.html]Image[/URL[URL=http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/B737driver357/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141222_184551_zpswiut5qei.jpg.html]Image[/URL[URL=http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/B737driver357/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141222_184712_zpsmrczbe0k.jpg.html]Image

I am no machinist, but I was impressed with the work. Everything went together just as planned.

Last Sunday I took it out for the first time. Me and a bud on a '04 CR 250 went to a place west of Ft. Worth, TX properly named Rocky Ridge . It was a mix of varied terrain including fast grass track, tight woods, steep hill climbs, and lots and lots of rocks of various shapes and sizes. The bike started up easily, as it always does, and I let it idle for an extended warmup. Coming from a cast Pro-X piston to the cast aluminum Wiseco it needs a little longer warm up cycle. Then off we went.

My initial reaction was pure bliss as we headed for the hill climbs. It was obvious that my bike was transformed into something different. I searched for the power playing with the throttle and gearing. Wherever I wanted it, it had it. I approached the first hill climb as I would have normally, 2nd gear in the mid range then laid into the throttle once on the hill. As I neared the top of the hill, very steep mind you, the wheel spin began to slow me down. This is an area that before I would have held the throttle wide open and slipped the clutch searching for traction. I started to do this initially, then took my hand off the clutch allowed the RPMs to decrease, and used the low end torque the rest of the way up the hill with little wheel spin. I cleared the top of the hill in the low to mid range with the front tire in the air. My bike would not have done that before. All smiles.. :grin:

We then took off into the woods. The bike seemed very familiar there with a few exceptions. I quickly realized that there was no need to stay "on the pipe" to go fast. Where before I would use the clutch to control power out of the turns, now it was just a twist of the throttle. The acceleration was very similar, and a lot less wheel spin. I hate to say it, but very 4 stroke like :oops: .

Next it was off to the high speed grass track stuff. This is the only area where I had a little disappointment. First through 3rd the RPM's built quickly and the bike pulled hard. In the higher gears, the bike was screaming sound wise, but really seemed to fall flat on pulling. Example: If your cruising along in fourth at a slower pace, then roll on the throttle, let the RPM's build, when the "powerband" kicks in there is no hit like I am used to. Hate using the word powerband, and no I don't need to buy a new band.....for all you jokers out there :naughty: :lol: . This is where you guys may be able to help me out. It really feels like the clutch is slipping just as you hit the powerband. Lots of noise, but no action :hmm: . I bought the bike new at the end of 2003 and it still has the original clutch. That being said, the clutch engages and disengages just fine at the lower rpms. Is it possible that the clutch can function normally in 1 RPM range and then slip in another? A side note, I have installed a Magura hydraulic clutch so it could possibly need adjustment. But again it functions fine when your not on the pipe :doh: . Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

As the day wore on we covered many of the sections over and over. When we got back to the hill climb area I decided to try something that I would never of done before. Rather than attacking the hill in 2nd gear I shifted it up to third and used the low to mid range torque all the way up . No Problem. The only issue I had with the hill climb was that in the low to mid range I was getting so much traction that the front end wanted to come up. So it was a delicate balance wheel slippage, traction, and keeping the front end down. A welcome problem.

Overall I am very impressed with this mod. Once I get the top end over rev thing figured out, this will be the ultimate bike for me. My bud that rode it said it best "it now pulls like a KTM 300, minus a few cc's and more manageable ". I agree.

Hope this helps someone out.

Don
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Eric Gorr 225 kit first ride impressions

Post by chkdx »

Yep, I think your clutch could be slipping. At lower rpms, the engine is making less power, so the clutch can hold it. In the powerband, it's making quite a bit more power, and the clutch can't hold it. Certainly worth making sure your Magura unit is adjusted properly and not holding the clutch partially disengaged, kind of like adjusting the cable too tight on the stock setup.
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

I knew you would like the 225. I gotta tell ya that I liked the 225 a lot better with the rev pipe for the very reason of giving it more over rev and still having plenty of bottom. And yea you might have clutch slipping at higher rpms.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Clutch slipping makes the most sense to me as well. Barnett kit is on the way. Really like the low end now, but I'd consider trying out the rev pipe. Gotta get the other issue taken care of first and see what it's like. Thanks for the input.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Just an update:

Installed a new Barnett Dirt Digger clutch today. The original clutch was definitely slipping. My concern over the upper RPM "power band" is gone. This thing pulls unbelievably through the entire RPM range. A worthwhile and welcome improvement. Good times.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

Nice!
Thanks for the update!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

YES. Thank you so very much for the update.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

nice to hear you got it sorted out. 225 kit is awsome
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Glad it worked out for you ,,, incredibly under rated bikes.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
Trail Ryder

Post by Trail Ryder »

First of all, that is a sweet looking bike.

I picked up a '95 KDX 200 as a spare / loaner bike. And I have to admit, it is more fun than I ever thought it would be. Except, I wish it had more power everywhere.

I went to Eric Gorr's site ( http://www.goforwardmotion.com/bbmasterlist.php ), and it looks like the kit is $600. So how does this work, do you just send your top-end to Eric? And does the kit come with any jetting recommendations?

1995 Kawasaki KDX 200 (For Sale)
2007 KTM 300 XC-W (For Sale, Maybe)
2014 KTM XCF-W 350
2014 Ski-Doo XRS 800 ETEC
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Exactly. I actually purchased another top end and sent it off. When you call they will give you a reference number. Include this with your cylinder and head as well as the order form printed from the website. I did not specifically ask about the jetting. But fortunately the way RB jetted it when I had the carb modded seems to work perfectly. No issues.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live