JD Jetting kit questions/settings

A reference for the PWK carbs...
rogsv8

Post by rogsv8 »

Hi
I bought a JD kit for my '04 200,and set it up to what JD recommended,which was for me(alt sea level-1000ft,temp70-80f)
-use main jet #165(supplied)
-use pilot jet #48
-Red marked needle in the #4 from top position(supplied)
-Airscrew bout 1 1/2 turns out
Havn't taken it for a ride yet,but it does seem awful rich to me.

Anybody else got one of these kits,and your thoughts or recommedations on what you have tried,and how it workrd out for you much appreciated.

By the way,my ride has FMF woods pipe,air box lid mod,stock engine and carb.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

165 is nuts.... 48 is too big too.

I run a 152/42 with the RED needle in the middle. About perfect!

My carb is RB modified though... should make that big of a difference....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

wonder if you can buy just the red needle from JD......or Sudco?
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You can't buy the JD needles from anyone but JD. They are custom, not a Keihin or OEM bit.
rogsv8

Post by rogsv8 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:165 is nuts.... 48 is too big too.

I run a 152/42 with the RED needle in the middle. About perfect!

My carb is RB modified though... should make that big of a difference....
I agree....iv'e done a little research,and your'e right that the RB mod shouldn't make a big difference in comparison to my un-modded carb.The red jd needle sort of compares to a CEK,and the blue to a DEK,(option needles are sindle taper,not tripple taper like jd ones)these two needles are both a little richer than the stock(BFQ),and then combine this with the richer than stock 165 main that is recommended for me(sea level to 1000ft) and you end up with a very rich setting,richer than even the stock OEM setting,that i don't understand how James Dean came to??
I tried a 160 main,45 pilot and the red needle on #2 and it was way better!
I'm going to try the standard 155 main,45 pilot jetting recommendation,with the red needle in the middle,which is closer to your setup Inda,and see how it goes,my hunch is it will be better again.
Can anyone shed any light on why the James Dean kit is so rich,and why it seams to work better without the huge main /pilot jets??? :?
rogsv8

Post by rogsv8 »

Sorry!
couple of spelling errors in that text,need a coffee!!
KDXDave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Red and Blue JD Needles

Post by KDXDave »

I think you need to go back and read the info sent with the JD needles. My understanding is that the RED needle is for above 6000ft and the BLUE needle is for below 6000ft. I may be wrong but double check..Thx Dave
Member of the BlueRibbon Coalition, NMOHVA, Blackfeathers Trail Preservation Alliance Jemez Mountains NM single track rider: KDX200 KDX220 KTM200EXC
surfskatesnowride

Post by surfskatesnowride »

I realize this is an old thread but information is information.

Here is my experience with the JD Jetting kit on my 2000 KDX200 with less than 20 hours on it:

AZ
60-80 degrees
2300 Ft elevation
Snorkel removed (not the lid)
Stock pipe

I started pretty rich and slowly went leaner over the course of 2 months, riding quite a bit between each jetting change, and ended up with this:

165 Main
Red needle 3rd clip
42 pilot
Air screw 1-1.25 out.

This configuration seems to work well all the way from 60-80 degrees. Crisper in the 60's but still nice in the 80's.

The amount of spooge declined considerably with the above jetting.

I haven't experimented with main jet sizes as I just don't see full WOT very often if ever and I trust James suggestion.

One thing I noticed while jetting my bike was that with each needle/ clip position change your air screw setting will change considerably. You can really tune the transition between the pilot and the needle using the air screw.

This isn't my first JD kit. I used one on my KTM300. In my opinion they are great kits.

Hope this helps the next guy.