Plug Chops

A reference for the PWK carbs...
thedeatons

Plug Chops

Post by thedeatons »

Here are some plug chops I did an hour ago. All were done within the same hour, on the same day, with various main jet changes. I will clue everyone in on the jetting changes in a couple days after everyone has chimed in.

I used these instructions: http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/printcarbtuning.html

QUESTION: Which plug would you run?

*All plugs are in the same position, none were moved. #1 on the Left, #2 in the middle, and #3 on the right.

James
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

The last picture is the plugs in the same position, just rolled over to show the backside of the insulator.

James
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'd run the middle one....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yep, the plug in the middle.
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

Here are the settings:

Elevation: 2385' (Caldwell, Idaho)
Temperature: 81 degrees
Bike: 1997 KDX220R
Mods:
FMF Woods Pipe
Stock Silencer
Boyeson 607 Drop-In Reed Petals
Stock Piston
+2 Gearing in Rear
Sparkplug BR8ES
Pilot Jet: 42
Throttle Position during chop: 100% open
Gear position: 3rd Gear

*100% throttle in 3rd gear for a count of 15-20 seconds before chopping throttle at the same time as hitting the OFF button.

The engine was warmed up, then the plug on the left was installed for a chop. I went up and down the street a couple times, then chopped it. The plug on the left was used with a 150 MJ. Run time on the plug was about 2 minutes.

The middle plug was installed and the bike was quickly run down the street once, then chopped. The MJ used was a 148. Run time on the plug was less than 30 seconds.

The last plug was installed, and the bike was lightly trail ridden for ten minutes. The MJ remained a 148 for this chop. There is more color on the plug because of more run time.

I am used to riding quads in the sand dunes with heavy loads on the engine. That calls for a chocolate brown plug. This is taking some getting used to, going to a lighter plug..... I may try chopping a 145 one day, but that is what came stock in the bike so I have my doubts.

James
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Probably won't matter which plug, if you don't get rid of that stock piston. :sad:
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

That's an opinion, and irrelevant here don't ya think? :)
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

>|<>QBB<
thedeatons wrote:That's an opinion, and irrelevant here don't ya think? :)
Nope and Nope. It will explode, soon or later. No jetting will change that. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones, maybe you'll be doing this again for your new wiesco and cylinder.

Sorry but I have been going back and reading a bunch of Carvrs post and it's making me argumentative. :roll:
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Oh and I'd run the middle one for the fuse in my time bomb. LOL :lol:
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

So let's see.... The bike was owned by one guy since 1997. He rode it for 13 years with his kids without ever touching anything, jetting, etc. Just lubed the chain.

I bought the bike a month ago, and ride with my 8 year old.

So basically after 13 years of trouble-free operation for the original owner, I'm going to go with the fact that it works fine. My one month of riding pales in comparison.

So your comments are irrelevant to me, and I don't want to argue in this post. The post is supposed to be informative, nothing else. Please be argumentative with someone else.

James
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

James... he is just trying to warn you about the flaws associated with the stock 220 piston. You aren't the first or the last that thinks it's hooey.... until it happens to you. Besides.... you bike is due for a topend by now....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'll go ahead and third that emotion, just so I can throw in a "I told you so" later on.

FYI, when you plug chop, you are trying to get a reading on the main jet. Any amount of "riding around" prior to chopping the plug ruins the reading.
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

I understand it is a warning. This winter when it is snowy I plan to check it out. Thanks for the warning. I was just trying to keep this on topic.

Juliend: I read that article on plug chops and things, the one that I posted above. I followed its instructions exactly. The left and middle plug in the picture has one plug chop on them only. The last plug was done like that simply as an example of what the middle plug settings looked like after being run a bit.

I am very hesitant to run anything leaner than the middle plug settings at this point.

James
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

>|<>QBB<
thedeatons wrote:So let's see.... The bike was owned by one guy since 1997. He rode it for 13 years with his kids without ever touching anything, jetting, etc. Just lubed the chain.

I bought the bike a month ago, and ride with my 8 year old.

So basically after 13 years of trouble-free operation for the original owner, I'm going to go with the fact that it works fine. My one month of riding pales in comparison.

So your comments are irrelevant to me, and I don't want to argue in this post. The post is supposed to be informative, nothing else. Please be argumentative with someone else.

James
So go ahead and ignore it, that's why they call it "your bike".

And since you brought it up, the lack of maintenance to the swingarm and suspension bearings SURELY has them about to fall out or sieze up. This is where you say, "maybe so, but quit calling me Shirley".

I guess you were not around and didn't understand the reference to CARVR. Most of these type posts are just attempts at emulating his tacky sarcasm that some of us found amusing, and some found tacky and sarcastic.

This post however is a modified Carvr with a touch of Wibby.

All said I hope you enjoy the bike as much as all of us have enjoyed ours.

I personally would use up my luck on a lottery ticket instead of that piston, but you may already be a millionaire.

Only one more dig and I'm done. Only dorks ride the 220's, the real men ride 200's. Just ask around it's a fact. :butthead:
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol: Your approaching Carvrism....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

Dude. I don't know you, nor do I know anyone else. Are you always sarcastic to people you have never met? I'm pretty close to just asking you to leave. I don't like joking on the internet because they don't go over well.....

Is this how every post on this forum ends up? Can it not just be informative?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Don't take it that way.... we like to have fun along the way... He has just been reading too many Canyncvr posts. A little Wibby thrown in...

We don't flame here and everyone gets along.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

A few things interest me about your plug chops. I own a 220 as well.

You're at a high elevation (for me...I am at 700ft) and you have the stock carb and almost stock jetting. The boyesen reeds allow a bit leaner jetting due a more efficient case charging/valving.

The chops show a mocha-tan reading @ full throttle. The only real change is your pipe, which most likely mimics the stock pipe's turning anyhow.

Unless you change the carb, why would you worry about running the stock 145 MJ? Esp at altitude, in the summertime?

Desert machines run rich to cool them. Not required for trail riding.