blind luck is not a good jetting guide

A reference for the PWK carbs...
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Cool, it must be the 33mm slide for both then. I was suprised to see sudco list different part numbers for the 33 and 35mm slides. Not so much for the 28, and I knew about the big body carbs LOL
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

welp I kinda got this thing sorted out. It runs pretty good.
We have had a wave of low humidity and sub-95 degree temps.

I finally settled on:

airbox lid on

42 pilot
55 main
1174K needle on the 2nd notch from top

It runs pretty good but there is a loss of bottom end w/ the carb but it's worth the rush at the top end. I hope switching to some CEx and DEx needles serves up some bottom end torque. If feels lean in the 1/8-1/4 throttle range but once past that it's a blast. Idle is perfect. I'm pretty happy until my needles get here and it gets a bit cooler.
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

I cannot recommend Pat's Small Engine biz to anyone.

I ordered three needles and I thought their prices/shipping were reasonable. That was the upside. However:

They are a jumbled up mess of a web biz. First, paypal doesn't work correctly as a payment method, so I had to call/email. Sucks...
The person on the phone took my order but didn't ask me an email address. So therefore I had no way of knowing when my order shipped. I have had to email them several times.

I ordered on a Tues and my order shipped 6 days later. Supposedly.
Tomorrow will have been two weeks, and I emailed them this morning for tracking NUMBER, and they emailed me the info but not the number.

Any Web-based business needs to get their core operating business down FIRST before doing anything extra.

This place sucks, IMO. :?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I called them before... they are assholes.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I'll 3rd avoiding them. It took a very long time to get my order, they were very unorganized.
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

well hopefully I will get my CEK, CEL, and DEL needles today.

Can anyone tell me if I *MUST* lean the slide for these needles to work somewhat correctly, or can I strictly play around w/ the main jets?

What I have right now (36.5mm carb, #5 slide, 42p, 1174K-2, and 155mj) is working up til 90 deg and 90% humidity (love the south!) with just a hint of burbling at low throttle openings....

I am thinking with a slightly smaller MJ like a 152 and fatter needles like CEL/DEL hopefully we should be good to go.

I would like to hereby refer to this carb as the 'Ghetto'-RB lol. Someone who knows how to work carbs did the airhorn blending and boring, but didn't know how to jet worth a crap...

I let someone who rode the bike stock ride the bike yesterday (in the rain) and he was thoroughly impressed. Having formerly owned a ZX11, I value his opinion. :grin:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CEK and DEK work best with a #7 slide.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

How about CEL/DEL? will they work well with the #5?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup... those are the recommended needles for a #5 slide...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

coolness. I more or less bought the CEK in case I feel like grinding on a spare slide or I find one in another PWK carb, or get the RB carb work.
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

So I installed the DEL needle and immediately noted a softer bottom that gradually built into power (exactly as described).

HOWEVER I had to remove the airbox lid or it would sputter @ 3/4 throttle.
So I know my main is too rich and or my lid needs some air holes. I have already removed the snorkle.

I also cannot get it to idle, so I suppose my pilot is a tad rich also.

I am thinking lower the needle one notch next before I go changing brass.

This summer is too hot :mad:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Make sure you mess with the airscrew!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

I took the airbox lid off, it made quite a difference w/ DEL needle on the top end, so I think my main is close. Probably need a 140-142 w/ lid on in summertime. I need to buy some plugs and do a few chops just to be sure.
Spooge is okay but I'm not riding long enough to go by that.
But I think my pilot is too rich for this heat. I messed w/ the airscrew a little but it's just too hot and muggy to be outside. sucks...

On a slightly related note I just ran out of Amsoil intercepter oil. I think I am gonna go to Klotz R-50 by the gallon now.

Boy this thing sure is thirsty w/ a bigger carb :) might be moving up to a clark/IMS tank for sure...
:supz: