Bad bog at ½ throttle

A reference for the PWK carbs...
motv8r
Supporting Member

Bad bog at ½ throttle

Post by motv8r »

I finally got around to taking the carburetor apart last night to see what condition it was in. I’m very pleased to say it is spotless! I haven’t seen too many carbs but this one is clean. I pulled the jets and my main is a 160 and the primary is a 48. The needle is an R1174K (2AFKQ) with the clip in the middle position and the AS was just under 1 turn out. I wasn’t able to measure the float height as I’m not sure what I need to buy to measure it with.

I am assuming these are the stock jets and needle.

I changed the transmission fluid and took it for a ride in the field behind my house. The first two passes were fine, but each pass after that I got a huge bog (to the point the engine would almost stall) when I gave it more than ¼ throttle. I stalled out after the 4th pass. Took it home and re-checked the oil level in the tranny and it was completely covering the sight window, so I drained enough out to get it between the lines. I haven’t ridden it since to know if that helped or might have been the problem.

Two questions:
First, could the overfilled transmission cause a bog like I described? The manual made mention something to that effect.

Second, I’ve read Indawoods jetting sticky about 10 times…and it’s finally starting to sink in, but I’d like to know if my current jets could also be a part of the bogging. When I test rode the bike it didn’t do this. If not, do the jets and AS setting seem like a good starting point? The bike did seem to run rich prior to doing any work. If nothing seems too far out of wack, I’ll just do what Indawoods suggests.

Thanks for any suggestions! BTW, I’m in DFW, TX riding a bone stock ’05 KDX 200.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Those jets are FAT, but the needle is lean. Try raising the needle up one clip and see what that does.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Get a 155 and a 152 main.... and a 45 and 42 pilot jet. A stock 1173 Kawasaki needle or even a CEL or DEL Keihin needle.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

juilend, you mean towards the blunt end correct, meaning 2nd from the top?

Indawoods, I'll try those. What you you guys think about the AS setting at less than a turn out?

Also, for general knowledge, could an overfilled tranny cause a bog?

Thanks!!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

raising the needle...or lowering the clip.
negative on the tranny.
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Got it, 2nd from the bottom. Thanks for the info!
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Ok, I've called around and haven't had much luck finding jets and needles. Where do you guys get yours? I've called Cycle Gear and the local Kawi dealers. Also, do you run OEM jets or do you buy aftermarket and what should I expect ot pay?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Ugh. screw sudco and their dealer only attitude. If you do have a problem, they will NOT help you. AND they have a $15 minimum order. No offense to Fuzzy, of course.

try http://www.jetsrus.com or http://www.psep.biz, both really awesome people to deal with. I prefer OEM jets, myself.
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Thanks, I'll give them a shot.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Cool, I've only just ordered some brass (>$15) from them. 2nd the OEM.
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Get a 155 and a 152 main.... and a 45 and 42 pilot jet. A stock 1173 Kawasaki needle or even a CEL or DEL Keihin needle.
Here's a stupid question...

Regarding the needles, are CEL and DEL their own designation, or are there different variations of each one? I'm on jets r us website and I'm not sure what to put in the cart for needles.

thanks
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They are different part numbers and are different from each other.... I don't really understand the question.... They are Keihin profiles.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

I am probably not phrasing it correctly or I just don't know what I'm talking about.

Here are the two part numbers I found on psep.biz. They were the only part numbers I could find with CEL or DEL in the part number. Do these look right?

N427-48CEL and N427-48DEL
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep... that's them... just checked.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Thanks for helping the noob!

One last question...do you use OEM or Genuine Keihin parts or does it even matter?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Keihin.... We pretty much got these bikes figured out....

The only thing on the carb that is OEM is the original needle and the cap. Everything else is Keihin. If you get jets at the dealer they are run of the mill Keihin jets.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Keihin.... We pretty much got these bikes figured out...
That's why I'm here! :prayer:

Just ordered everything from Jets R Us...expect some more questions after they get here. :mrgreen:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Right, when I say I prefer "oem jets", I mean genuine keihin, not "keihin style jets".
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

IMO, that's the only way to truely trust the sizes.