Bad bog at ½ throttle

A reference for the PWK carbs...
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Well, I feel like an idiot! I probably shouldn't admit this, but I figured out why the engine was bogging so badly. The dang thing wasn't picking up gas from the "on" position anymore...I was out of gas!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Turns out these things need gas in order to run. I'd checked everything, including taking the carb apart and soaking it in Berryman's. One of my buddys recommended seeing if it would run on reserve, to which I scoffed and said something smart. Well, he indirectly fixed it for me. Turns out that when I test drove the bike before buying, it was almost in need of refueling, so after I got it home, changing the gear oil and power washed it, I just ASSumed the wash did something to it. Although it does run rich, and I will be re-jetting as soon as they come in, I don't know why I thought washing it would somehow affect the air/gas mixture.

I decided to remove the petcock and see if the filter was clogged on the "on" side. When I pulled it out and saw how much taller it was I felt like an idiot. Anyways...just thought I'd share. Guess I have to learn to laugh at myself every once in a while... :lol:

Maybe I'll get to go riding this coming weekend since last weekend didn't work out...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Careful with Berrymans. Twice now I've seen the soak damage the jet block o-ring, which is not a readily available part.
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Yeah, I only left it in for about 15 minutes.

Also, my apologies to everyone that took time to reply to my "problem." I can't believe I didn't consider filling it up, but in my own defense I've never owned a bike that didn't have a fuel gauge.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol, no prob. Glad you got it figured out!
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

I finally received my jets and needles today. I am going to go from a 160/48 to 155/45 and see how that works. Regarding the needle...should I install the DEL or CEL needle and which position should I place the clip a a starting point? Currently it has a 1174 in the middle position.

Thanks!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Del is more mellow than a Cel... start at the middle position.

Please let us know how it goes!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Great, I'll start there and post back with my results. Hopefully I'll be able to get this done tonight.

One last question, are new needles supposed to come with the clip? Neither one of my needles did and I'm awaiting a reply from Jets R Us, so thought I'd ask here.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Nah, they don't come with the clip. Use the clip from your old needle.
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Thanks, that's kinda what I thought, but wanted to make sure.
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

So I installed the 155/45 and the DEL in the middle position. The swap made things worse, by quite a bit. Idle is worse, LOTS of smoke (wasn't getting much at all before) and WOT (in neutral) causes a pretty bad bog. It almost seems that it's running richer than before, but that doesn't make sense considering I made it leaner.

Can making it leaner cause the smoke? Any ideas before I move the clip any? If not, should I mix and match one of the original jets with what I have now and just try different cominations or try the 152/42 and maybe the CEL?

Thanks!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Actually... I think you need to follow Jetting 101 and get everything set at neutral position and go from there. Where is your air screw set presently?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

I dropped the needle one position and it improved quite a bit. I would guess it got it pretty close to where it should be, although I haven't been able to do a plug chop test yet. Air screw is set at 1.5 and seems to work best there.

I seemed to run good, but it didn't pull as hard from 1-5 as it did in 6th gear. Then I installed the DEL and got the same results. The bike leaked gas out of the overflow when I moved it to the top position, so it's back in the number 2 spot.

I'll just have to find the time and place to do jetting 101 until I get this figured out, but I think it's close.

Thanks for the help.