Needles, Clips, Jets, Etc...

A reference for the PWK carbs...
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Needles, Clips, Jets, Etc...

Post by Sapphire »

So, I read a couple jetting Tutes.... and still dont know how to do it yet, but will get it figured out soon...

My question is... whats the best way to get new needles, clips, jets etc? Buy a kit? Just buy the individuals I think I need? Beg someone who has spares to give them to me?

I know its a personalized deal, but Fredette recommended this:
"with the stock pipe and proper oil mix, the jets should be in the 45 pilot and a 15-152 main jet. the needle in the 2nd from the top and if you get a bog off the bottom then an 1173 needle will take it out. air screw about 1/4-1 turn out. "

What Pilot and Main do I likely have stock? What about the needle?

Anyone have some of these they dont need, want to unload, sell, give away? Is Ebay a good place to find them?

Thanks.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

don't buy a "jetting kit" they are worthless IMHO.
You can get jet and needles at the local dealer, cycle gear, mc shop... they're cheap.
I'd get a "del" needle for a non RB carb/head.
I'd find out what is in your carb (proly 165/45) then get a few jets and play with them to get it right.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

How about ride the bike and get to know it before trying to mod things. Once you start dicking with things right from the get go you start having problems. If it is running rich... then address that problem. Otherwise... just get to know how the bike behaves so when something is not acting right... you know it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

You know...once the bike warms up good...it comes to life pretty good. I'll let it idle for like 3-4 minutes then sort idle around for a minute or two before I try to go for it... Then... as I go to start ripping it it dogs bad and tons of smoke comes out... then...as it warms up more...it starts pepping up.

After it gets hot, it does well, BUT... it has a definite bog on the bottom, then pulls hard... the tops out really fast.. will NOT overrev....let alone rev...

I think Jetting is definitely the first thing I'll do, but very first I'll mess with the air screw a bit and see what happens.

I do understand about getting to know it first, so I at least recognize the performance changes when I do make some changes....
:mrgreen:
06' 200 Bone Stock
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Most KDXs are cold blooded and need a good warm-up. Mine can be idling while I mess with my goggles and stuff and still need what seems like 5 minutes of moderate riding to get running right.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

same here
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What's in your bike now?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I dont know?? how do I find out? Is IT in the owners manual??
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

step 1. remove carb
step 2. open carb
step 3. clean carb
step 4. check numbers on MJ and PJ
step 5. post numbers here so we can send you in the right direction
step 6. check jetting section and how to jet
step 7. go for a ride
done
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What's with all this Owners Manual talk?!?

You need a SERVICE MANUAL and even that will not tell you what is in your bike. Jetting is a changable thing and I highly doubt that your bike have the jets in it that it came with. Your jets are the only brass parts in your carb I believe and when you remove your carb and pull the bowl... the main is the brass 6mm hex piece that exposed at the very top as your carb is turned over. The Pilot jet is recessed and has a slot in it that you remove with a flat head screwdriver that is right beside your main jet.

Now get busy.... :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

You guys are an Uppity Bunch!!! :lol: Dang! Hehehe...

I'll get to it. First I am going to try and get a few hours on the thing like Inda suggested...so I at least know how it is performing now. There is some decent trail and hills that I will hit later this weekend...open her up a bit... get a feel for what is really going on...

2 things...
1. Do you guys run K&N filters at all? I see that for the KDX they are only like $48... is there better, more cost effective way?

2. I read somewhere you can just loosen the rubber boots and just kinda rotate the carb around in place. Is it easier to just flat out take the carb off?

Thanks guys...

PS...Inda... do I get to be "subscribed" soon? I didn't read how big a donation i was supposed to make, but I made one nonetheless...

Thanks! :supz:
06' 200 Bone Stock
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

K&N and dirt don't mix IMO. Get a good Uni or Twin-Air filter and oil it well.

You can do that to swap jets but you really need to take it out of the bike and clean it to get to know the carb.

Yep... you paid with a eCheck and those have to clear for some reason.... should be tomorrow.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

1) I don't think they're worth a crap for dirt use. and $48 is crazy. I paid something like $12 for a pre-oiled No Toil filter at Rocky Mountain.

2) Never worked for me, just take it off. Put some anti-seize on the screw-in gizmo that covers the needle if you screw with that, and don't tighten it much. It's made of crap metal and strips super easy.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

BTW... pick up a Pro-Seal for your filter too unless you like greasing the lip of the filter everytime you clean your filters. Ready Filters are a good option too... they are pre-oiled and a little more expensive than buying a good filter and cleaning it everytime but you can just peel the old filter off and put on a brand new one everytime and you are good to go....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Cool. The filter that is on it right now is filthy...it shocked me when i took the seat off last night, cause the last one I looked at, on the neighboors DRZ was absolutely spic and span clean... probably brand new I guess...

I took it off and the inside of the filter looked great though...doing its job I guess!

Is there a link here to an On Line service manual? I'll google it...
06' 200 Bone Stock
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Link is at the top of this page on the right. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Can you print pages off to take them to the shop or can you only view it?
06' 200 Bone Stock
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

yes you can print it