KDX 220-No PowerBand

A reference for the PWK carbs...
Gopher

KDX 220-No PowerBand

Post by Gopher »

Help, I just finished my 2000 KDX220/KX125 hybrid (I love it). My engine was in my KDX and ran great before I started the project a month ago. It had a Gnarly pipe and FMF turbine core silencer. 145 MJ 42 SJ It pulled hard and had a great hit at the power band. I pulled the engine taped the exhaust and intake shut so no filings could get in and bored out the swingarm hole to 17mm myself, built the bike and assembled everything. I had to go back to a stock pipe and a KX 250 turbine core. I thought I might be close on jetting because I put a stock pipe back on (smaller jet) but the KX airbox is wide open compared to the kdx (bigger jet). It pulls good up until the powerband and then quits revving. I did the chop test like indawoods suggested and the plug is dry. I went up to a 148,150,158,165 and the plug is still dry, the bike gets hot when you do the chop test and it still will not hit the powerband. I checked the kips and the bolt turns in the round hole when revved and the valve itself is closed inside the exhaust port and opens when I turn the nut. I can also feel the linkage move in the boot when I turn the bolt/valve by hand. I mixed brand new 92 gas at 43:1 with GN2 oil. I am trying to go on a poker run Saturday with my son. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

any way to get the "Gnarly" pipe (whatever that means) back on it temporarily and see if it revs then? You could bungy it on maybe just to test? Gnarly relates to wall thickness not power personality. it's either a rev or torque pipe and a 220 will not have much up top without the rev pipe.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

How long did the carb sit around? Test tlow out of the 'new' KX tank? Sounds like you are running out of fuel (leaning out big time).
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Gopher

Post by Gopher »

Thanks for the advice. I was going backwards in size with the MJ. I went down to a 140 MJ and it made all the difference. I was not running long enough to color the plug. Ran great on the poker run this weekend and I love the KX frame and suspension.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

:supz:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Do you have any pictures of your bike to post in the hybrid forum?