Im lost

A reference for the PWK carbs...
KDX220rser

Im lost

Post by KDX220rser »

Ok my bike is running rich and im looking to get her running right. I have a 42 pilot jet and a 145 main jet. I am going to buy a few different size jets. But i dont know what all the differences in all these are. any help?
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Mikuni jets in a Keihin?? :?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yeah...the MAIN difference between '..all these..' and what's in an '02KDX 220 is 'they all' aren't anything that will fit in your carb.

:wink:

The picture looks kinda like a PWK pilot..maybe they are..but that's not what the list is about.

Look up the PWK (what you have..a 33mm) on carbparts (I think it is) or sudco. There's a recent thread about 'where to get jets'.

You can get 'em from a dealer, too...part numbers are on any on-line fiche.

Most any bike shop will have Keihin jets..some will let you 'trade' jets, so if you buy a few of something and want to swap them for different sizes you won't have to BUY a fist full of brass.

Or call Pat's and talk to a human bean on the fone.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

ok thanks guys.. im glad i asked before i just ordered.. this is the first time i try jetting a bike so im learning.. thanks again!!
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I called 'em...thought I'd be nice enough to tell 'em they were all screwed up.

That's something that pretty much anyone appreciates hearing, 'eh?

I'm afraid their phone-handling abilities are as good as their website maintenance.

I pressed #2 for parts information...didn't figure I'd eventually get to 'Press #456 for the HTML editing department for web content held on server farm-4'.

A couple of disjointed rings later...some silence...I went back to 'Please listen to the following menu...' crap I heard the first time.

I imagine the parts 'voice mailbox' is full, so routes to them get kicked back to where they came from...which is the NITA (Nearly InTelligent Answerer).

Honestly...I have no idea how folks as these can successfully operate a business when they cannot even run their phone system. They may well be terrific people but they need help with some basic 'stuff'...like, HOW TO ANSWER THE DAMN PHONE!

:roll:

Consider the source

KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

well I found what I needed. Maybe I can get some confirmation here. I need jets to fit a pwk carb. Which should be 99101-357 main jet and n424-21 slow/pilot jet right? Then what ever size I need..142 and 40. For example.. Am I on the right track? I found some pro x jets. Are these any good? Thanks again guys.. I know I am prob asking questions that have already been answered, but I search for hours sometimes and still can't find my answer. This sight has a lot of info... Sometimes hard to find
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Just take your old jets to nearly any motorcycle shop and show them. They will probably bring out a whole assorted tray of jets for your carb. I've never been to a shop that doesn't stock a substantial assortment of jets. If you show em yours you can be sure to get the correct style.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

Ok I will try a few shops... My local kawi dealer sucks.. I used to work for them. They don't have any jets. But our ktm shop does. I will ride by there Monday.
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I put your '99..' number into google and find all sorts of places selling Keihin PWK main jets. I think the pilot is a -21 series. They are sometimes called 'long standard'. Here's the rub...not all parts on a Keihin PWK carb are the correct parts for a Keihin PWK carb...ON A KDX! The KDX slide is an 'air striker' type 'fer example.

Re: 'Am I on the right track?'

Yes. As mentioned..taking your existing jets into a shop is an excellent way to go about it if you have any question as to what style/type you need.

Pro-x jets?

That's what RMMC sells...notes them as 'aftermarket'. I don't know anything about them. I'd be leary of anything other than a Keihin jet. Why? Anecdotal history, mostly. Not all jets that LOOK the same or have the same NUMBER on them ARE the same. They (jets) are actually a quite finely made part.

I doubt it's a huge issue. Call it personal preference..but that preference is for Keihin parts.

..oops...fergot to hit the 'submit' button.....

Consider the source

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

KTM's use PWK's so you should be fine there.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project