Kdx220r off idle bog

A reference for the PWK carbs...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Never happened on any KDX I have ever ridden... but if it works for you....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Within 15 minutes from the truck, we've already run The Creek, Percolator and Screwed By a Tree and Maybe even Smoke a Clove

About 1,000' climb

Soon as my bike cleans out I can flogg the hell out of it

Maybe it's the Toluene?

Was out camping a few weeks ago. A guy wanted a lil gas to get the fire going. So I gave him a lil premix outa my stove. He hit it with a bic lighter and singed all the hair off his arm!

:lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
chriswelfare

Post by chriswelfare »

Hey guys i didn't mean to piss anyone off. I have a lot of time into this bike already and its getting very frustrating. I really can't imagine it needs 10 or 15 minutes to warm up, but I will give that a try. I don't think its irreversible or a cursed bike or any of that stuff. But I do think this is the way it runs with these mods and u guys are just used to it.
Chris
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

Post by DirtBikeDad »

>|<>QBB<
chriswelfare wrote: Could someone go out in the garage and wick the throttle fast on there kdx220r with full pipe and modified air box. I'm pretty sure it's just the way these bikes are.
Chris
Chris,

I have roughly the same bike (2003 KDX 220 with the airbox opened up, Boyesen reeds, FMF Turbincore II silencerand a Wiseco piston. No other engine or carb mods, stock pipe and jetting, )

I can tell you without a shred of doubt that if you were to climb on my bike and warm it up until the choke drops (<1 minute) and wick the throttle fast that it would rev straight away. I can guarantee that if you were to do the same thing while putting around in first gear that you will very quickly find yourself flat on your back staring at the sky until the green monster obscures your vision by completing its rotation to land squarely on your chest (personal experience upon transitioning from an anemic DR350S to this bike).

You have a problem or problems somewhere that has not been fully addressed. Unfortunately its not as simple as there being one single cause for the bike to perform poorly off-idle. There are several areas that could potentially contribute to this symptom by being dirty, worn, clogged, broken, sticking, wrong size, out of adjustment ...... any or all of the above.

Places to look include:

Air filter
Carb boot
Reeds/Reed cage
Carb (Slow jet, Main jet, Needle, Needle Clip, choke, throttle slide, air screw, float, overflow)
Trottle cable
low compression (piston & rings)
Spark plug
Coil
CDI
Stator

Like others have said, I would start with a complete disassembly and thorough cleaning (including running a brass wire through the jets and other orifices) as a first measure. Many's a time that I've found it possible to blow air through a jet yet the wire still extracts gummy residue.

My $.02, probably worth less than half what you paid.

:grin:
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Your bike has a problem

First thing I'd do is take the carb off and give it a good 30 minute soak in Berryman's Carb Dip
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yes.

After that buy 1 round trip ticket for my from Chi to CO and I'll get it :mrgreen:

You'll get it licked. It's NOT a matter of 'what we're used to' :roll:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

What we are used to....

Is n00b's coming in asking the same questions time and time again

Advice is given but seldom does a n00b ever listen

Questions get asked about the problem, but not answered, at least right away

Sometimes months pass before the n00b finally listens
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

Post by DirtBikeDad »

>|QBB<[/url]
Mr. Wibbens wrote:What we are used to....

Is n00b's coming in asking the same questions time and time again

Advice is given but seldom does a n00b ever listen

Questions get asked about the problem, but not answered, at least right away

Sometimes months pass before the n00b finally listens
Holy crap! Just noticed its my 2 year anniversary today. Must still be a n00b though Image
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
chriswelfare

Post by chriswelfare »

I appreciate all of the the advice and will try any and all of the suggested idea's. If I come to a solution I will be sure to post it and let u all know what it was. While i may be new to this forum, "a noob" apparently. I assure you that I am not new to 2 stroke motors. I have searched this forum and found no real answers to this problem. That is the only reason I started this thread. Thanks to all those who gave advice and sorry to all those who know everything about kdx220r's and are annoyed by my questions.
Chris
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Nobody is annoyed by your questions, we're here to try and help, and try and get help when we need it. We also try and have a little fun along the way. What gets annoying is when someone talks about sending the bike on down the road because that's "just the way it is", when we all know better.

I seriously think that 130 main jet is WAY too lean for your altitude and setup. No amount of tweaking on the needle and air screw is going to make up for a super anemic main circuit. When you snap the throttle wide open you're hitting that main jet hard. If it dies right out then you're not getting enough fuel through there. What is the largest main you've tried? I'm thinking 140 would be a better starting point but you might end up needing it fatter than that. Most 220 jetting recommendations after a few mods are around 142/145 on the MJ.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

It's your attitude that is annoying
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
chriswelfare

Post by chriswelfare »

It turned out to be fuel. The guy I bought it from didn't ride it for a few years and i guess the gas evaporated leaving a really rich oil gas mix. After trying just about everything in the book, I mixed up some fresh 40 to 1 and put the jetting back to stock. it solved the problems I was having. Thanks to all who gave advice and were patient with my questions. No thanks goes to those who where pretentious and rude in their replies.

Booya
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I had to go back to read if I was rude... yup... kinda I guess.... but it was fuel related, so I don't feel so bad. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

So you were ready to send this bike down the road and the only thing wrong with it, was the fuel

fuggin n00bs

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
welderteacher

Post by welderteacher »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote::roll: OK.
Sure is hell don't need 10 - 15 minutes

:roll:

All I need is about 50 yds before mine will clean up and hit the powerband
I have a 2004 220, same pipe, red reeds. Mine ran fine when I put it away last fall, over the winter put in a forged piston, cleaned the KIPs, now I have the same exact problem.
42 pilot, also tried 45, 145 main, needle second clip from the top
So I know it shouldn't be doing this, have tried going thru the carb twice, with cleaner and everything.
As soon as I get a little RPM it lifts the front wheel and away we go.

Any fresh ideas out there? What carb circuit would affect this?

Thanks
kevfort19

Post by kevfort19 »

put some water in the gas, for sure the front wheel will never goes up again...
KDX 220 2001 =)

Don'T drink and drive...just give some gas and fly :D
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

How much is a "little RPM"? What throttle position does it clean up at? Where is your air screw set to when the problem is least noticeable?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
welderteacher

Post by welderteacher »

Colorado Mike wrote:How much is a "little RPM"? What throttle position does it clean up at? Where is your air screw set to when the problem is least noticeable?
I would guess, 2 - 3,000 rpm. If you roll the throttle on fast from idle, (in gear) you can bog it to the point of killing it. As soon as you get a little rpm, away it goes.
I drained what little gas was left from last year, put in fresh, (with no ethanol) and went from 42 pilot up to 45. Air screw is still only 1 turn out where I get the best performance.It's quite a bit better, so I'll keep playing with jetting. Also might try raising the needle from 2nd from the top to 3rd. I think the weather and altitude are contibuting. It was running great in the fall but we're talking 4,000+ elev. and 70+ temps. Now it's as at 2500' and it's 45 degrees.
Thanks for the feedback