pilot jetting question

A reference for the PWK carbs...
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

pilot jetting question

Post by G22inSC »

I decided to finally try and check to see if I had the correct pilot installed. I pulled the carb to make sure of the pilot (42) and then warmed the motor. I followed the typical jetting instructions...

"Turn the airscrew slowly in, and then out, until you find the point where the idle is fastest. Stop there. Now is the time to determine if you have the correct pilot installed in your carb. The airscrew position determines this for you, making it very simple. If your airscrew is less than 1 turn from closed, you need a larger pilot jet. If it is more than 2.5 turns from closed, you need a smaller pilot jet."

The way I understand this is to turn the airscrew in and out until you find the fastest idle (highest RPM). That is where my problems begin. The idle continues to increase the farther out I turn the airscrew. There is no up and down to the RPM's, it is just all up as you turn the airscrew out from fully seated. Am I doing this wrong or does that just mean my pilot is to large to see a midpoint where the RPM's fluctuate?
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

So...where's the mans answer? Or the womans answer for that matter.

Re: 'Am I doing this wrong or does that just mean my pilot is to large to see a midpoint where the RPM's fluctuate?'

You are not doing it wrong and your determination of the matter is probably correct.

That doesn't quite gibe with having a 42 pilot...'cuz that's not way off from where your bike will likely run the best, unless you're at 10,500'.

When you do seat the screw, does the idle drop a good bit? Maybe even kills the engine? (Seat it carefully..consider you're screwing a brass needle into an aluminum bore).

What's your altitude? Location?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The idle will not start to drop after you reach that point, it will remain high, but should not get any higher.