Jetting questions on stock KDX200

A reference for the PWK carbs...
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Jetting questions on stock KDX200

Post by DirtDaddy »

Bike: stock 2006 200, airbox lid removed. Started with 155 main and 45 p/j per recommendations from Freddette website. Airscrew at 1-3/4 turns out. Amsoil Interceptor at 40:1. Bike seems to run pretty well, but slight bog off idle and a bit of smoke and spooge coming out of the pipe. Finally got a chance and place to do a plug chop test last week at 2000' and 60 degrees. After a wide open run for 1/2 mile I couldn't see any color at the base of the insulator. Surprised me as I figured if anything I would be too rich. Tried a 160 with the same results and didn't seem to be as crisp with a bit more smoke.
Is 1/2 mile long enough for the test? Should the color be fairly evident?
Does 1-3/4 turns out sound OK on the airscrew as far as having the correct p/j? I plan on experimenting with the needle position next time I get a chance.
I am trying to follow all the advice in Inda's jetting write-up. Any comments or advice?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Try a 152/42 combo as a starting point...

160 is richer...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Post by DirtDaddy »

I know, that's why I was surprised that I couldn't see any color on the plug after the chop test. Should the 1/2 mile wide open run be sufficient to color the plug noticeably?

I'll give the 152/42 combo a try. Thanks.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The plug colors at the bottom of the insulator... you have to cut the metal jacket off around the insulator to see the colored ring.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "