CEL Needle No Hit?

A reference for the PWK carbs...
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

CEL Needle No Hit?

Post by 2001kdx »

I threw the CEL in my stock carby and I was expecting a distinctive hit like others have experienced, bit i felt no such thing. I DID feel very good bottom end power, It felt like a power mod right off the bottom. It might have just cleaned up my jetting or something, but I was getting some 3rd gear below-the-kips front wheel lofts. I still however did not feel that famous c taper hit, maybe raising the clip will help? I'm also afraid the DEL, which I also have (thanks to jeb) will be even less noticable.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The needle is only 1 part of the equation... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

What is the rest of your jetting? Altitude and temp? Reed condition?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Jetting= 155/45 300ft altitude, 50 degree temps, stock reeds not cracked.

i've removed the snorkel, rest of mods are rev pipe and Q silencer.

Thinkng about buying the next leanest pair of jets, 152/42.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

What did the WOT chop reveal?

Go ahead and get a 150 MJ and a 40 PJ in addition to what you plan on getting - you might need 'em!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You'll need the next set leaner jet for sure. Buy at 150MJ and 40PJ like jeb suggests as well.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

So . . . what became of the "no hit" needle?

Did you order some jets?

Don't give up on jetting, 2001kdx, it'll be like magic when it's right!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

As smooth as ever jeb.

Problem is... RICH! This bike SOUNDS rich, I can hear it.
Still pleased with low end torque and performance. I'll hit the dealer up on the weekend for at least the 152/42 combo. I never jetted after installing the REV pipe - I might end up with a BEAST when I throw those jets In!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

This bike SOUNDS rich, I can hear it
:hmm:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

scheck, put a main jet 2 sizes too large in your bike and tell if it sounds different. It will.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

So did you swap out some jets yet? I've had to order some before, but a good shop might have them . . . maybe.

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I when to my kawi dealer, and they had mains in stock. I bought 152,150 MJ's. I ordered a 42 pilot, but they GOT me. $9.60 for the pilot jet.

Anyway, I put the 152 in, didn't feel that much of a difference. Makes me think the 150 will be spot on. I love the way the bike pulls now, strong off the bottom, and strong through the top. Still pretty smooth too!

I'll also have to fiddle with the clip. I am currently waiting out some white crap covering my woods :cry:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote: . . . I put the 152 in, didn't feel that much of a difference. Makes me think the 150 will be spot on. . .
Try a wide-open-throttle-chop (WOT) with the 152 in place. It'll only cost you a spark plug!

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I'm too much of weenie to hold my bike at max throttle and rpm for more than 5 seconds. I'm only afraid of a huge piston seize or something. It is tattooed on my brain!

On second thought, maybe I'll try it tommorow. I can to 6th gear, be going up a hill so i'm under a load. How many seconds should I go?
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:I'm too much of weenie to hold my bike at max throttle and rpm for more than 5 seconds. I'm only afraid of a huge piston seize or something. It is tattooed on my brain!

On second thought, maybe I'll try it tommorow. I can to 6th gear, be going up a hill so i'm under a load. How many seconds should I go?
If you can get to at least 4th under a load, WOT, 5-6 seconds will probably do it. For a more distinct mark to view, go 10 seconds.

BTW - Do this AFTER the bike is warmed up. Thoroughly warm it up then replace the current plug with a properly gapped plug. Start her up, mosey to where you start your run, make your run. The chop: the throttle closed, clutch pulled in, and motor killed SIMULTANEOUSLY. Coast to a stop, pull the plug and cut the threads away. Don't touch the carbon deposit band and, if you can, take a pic and post it for us. You'll benefit others that will learn how this process works, too!

Another BTW - You don't have to get all the way to 6th; 4th for 10 seconds will be fine. It's not nearly as intimidating (at least for me) to do the chop in 4th rather than at 60-70 MPH!!! :shock:

Good luck, you won't regret it

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Ok, I can probably do something like 5th gear under a load for 5-6 seconds.

How exavctly do you cut the plug apart? Does anyone have a picture of a plug w/ the ring?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

put the plug in a vise and cut the metalic part (threads) with a hacksaw