Clip Question

A reference for the PWK carbs...
paceyman
Supporting Member

Clip Question

Post by paceyman »

KDXr's,

While having the bike checked out last week, I asked the dealer to make any adjustments needed to the bike and he said he dropped the clip to help lean out the bike.

I'd like to learn about these subtle changes but have no idea what a clip is. I read IWoods notes and am going to do some testing with the screw but wanted to reverse what the dealer did with the clip.

It now bogs down low and has an extra kick up top... I'd rather it be more linear. Does anyone have a photo of what the clips looks like and how to make this adjustment?

Thanks.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Take your gas tank off and unscrew the carb. cap. when you pull it out a slide, spring and the needle will come out also. The cable goes into a slot on the slide, you will have to take the plastic retainer off by sliding/ pulling the spring up. THe cable come out but be carefull not to let the spring go or you will be looking for parts all over, trust me it sucks. :roll: Use forcepts/ roach clips or needle nosed vise-grips to hold everything on the cable. Use a socket to unscrew where the cable went into and turn it upside down. The needle will come out. You will see the clip it is very small and easy to lose so watch out. Follow Indas instructions from there.

I think on some if you loosen the clamps on the carb you can rotate it enough to get the cap off but be very careful with the slide.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I think on some if you loosen the clamps on the carb you can rotate it enough to get the cap off but be very careful with the slide.
yep I have the 05 200 model, and you just need to loosen both sides of the carb (screw and alen bolt), then you can rotate the carb to unscrew the top.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Clip Question

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
paceyman wrote:KDXr's,

. . . he said he dropped the clip to help lean out the bike . . .
Droppin' the clip is the same as raising the needle - and that richens the bike . . . the needle sits further out of the needle jet.

You misunderstood your dealer or your dealer doesn't know what he's talkin' about!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Lower the needle, or in the dealers terms, raise the clip back up a bit. Should wake it back up. Check ur plug!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

Team,

Just got the slide out and am stuck since I don't have a metric socket that small. First thing is done - slide out. Next, the clip.

Thanks guys for your coaching. :cool:

Bill
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

I am going to be doing my own jetting soon and I got a quick question that fits here. I have an '06 200. When I unscrew the clamps on both sides of the carb, do I have to unscrew the throttle cap off and take the whole carb out? Or should I not mess with that? I'm going to put in a 155 main and a 45 pilot and adjust from there. Sucks that it is soooo cold, I really want to rejet already and ride. Also, I usually ride at 500-800 feet. Would that be a good jetting change? I have removed snorkel (soon to drill holes in lid), FMF "rev", Powercore II silencer.
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

Redd,

Just did my clip adjustment this past week. I unscrewed the both clamps and removed the carb. Then I unscrewed the cable cap and removed the cable, spring, slide and needle. The clip adjustment was pretty simple.

Good luck with the rejet. Adjusting the clip brought back the snap it was missing.

Thanks Team.

Bill :supz:
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.
2005 KDX220-Completely stock
1998 XR200-Supertrapp Exhaust
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

>|<>QBB<
OldRedd wrote:I am going to be doing my own jetting soon and I got a quick question that fits here. I have an '06 200. When I unscrew the clamps on both sides of the carb, do I have to unscrew the throttle cap off and take the whole carb out? .
I took the cap off. Mine is a 250 with a VERY large tank, so yours might be different. If you just change the main you can always take the drain cap off the bottom of the carb and you can change it from there w/o taking the entire carb off. Just be careful not to cross thread the new one, use just a socket and extension to start it. I didn't change the pilot in mine.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Another dumb question, but if I go from 160m 48p to 155m 45p, would I still have to run 32:1, or should I rn 40:1 and lean it out a bit?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

er....32:1 is leaner than 40:1 so from that standpoint....no.

155/45 is closer to reality though.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

One other fairly dumb question :rolleyes: , before I go and turn the airscrew out 1.5 turns, where is the airscrew positioned stock? Is it all the way in? I never messed with it since I bought the bike brand new, and it seems as though that makes a bit of a difference in terms of jetting as well.
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Finally got the jetting done this weekend. Took a total of about 10-15 min. Very simple to do. Went from 160m 48 pilot to 155 main 45 pilot. What a difference in terms of "hit" and amount of smoke. :partyman:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Good work! Now, go do a search on how to do a throttle chop and how to read a spark plug. I bet you can find even more power as you "fine tune" your jetting a little more.

Also, just to check; you do understand how 40:1 is richer than 32:1 is.... Right? If not, just ask or search. It's been discussed and it can be confusing. Just remember; 40:1 has more gas per volume of fuel than 32:1 has. More gas means more richer. On a smaller scale, the viscosity of the 40:1 ratio is thinner than 32:1 and that can change your leanness" (is that a word?!?) More oil makes thicker fuel. Thicker fuel doesn't flow as well as thin fuel. Hence 32:1 is leaner because it contains less gas per volume and it's thicker mix goes through jets slower.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Thanks for all your help. I've just began to research this 'chopping' stuff and so far I seem to understand it. Thanks for clearing up all that "lean vs rich" confusion as well. I'll keep you posted during my fine tuning process. Not sure if "leanness" is a word, but it works for me :supz: