Bent needle

A reference for the PWK carbs...
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bent needle

Post by radonc73 »

I have a 93 KDX 250 that the throttle sticks. I have visually inspected my carb. I didn't see anything wrong with it but is it possible to have a bent needle that wont seat right but looks straight. I am not a mechanic and want to get this straightened out before I take it into a shop and get charged $65 a shop hour for a needle. The throttle sticking has me a little afraid to ride it. I have wrestled with this for 5 years and everytime I think I have it fixed it sticks again. This is my last call for help before the shop.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Make sure the spring under the throttle cable cap is seated correctly.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Is it lubbed good?
when you remove it from throttle and carb, does it still stick when you pull on the cable? Do you feel any resistance?
Make sure the throttle is clean and DRY (no grease)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

5 YEARS???? :shock:

Man... just get a cable luber.... clean it, clean it again... and one more time for good measure. Pull your throttle tube and clean under it with some brake cleaner and clean your throttle tube with some WD and wipe it dry. If all that fails... Buy a new needle... all under $10
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I have changed throttle cables, moved needle positions, lubed the cable with a cable luber gizmo. It would be fine for a few months then stick again. I took almost a year and a half off after back surgery (not related) and then planned a wedding so I really haven't had money or been very good with my maint. :cry: my brother was doing most of it but he is stumped with this one. When it stuck last I tried killing it and restarting it. It stuck the first 2 times then it was fine. It only seems to do it when I have it WFO and then it hits and doesn't let go after I do. I am not a fulltime rider more like every few weekends so I don't have many hours on it especially in the last few years but I really like the bike but the throttle seems to take the fun out of it. And that is what it is all about.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Take the carb off the bike, reconnect the slide to it. open the throttle all the way. and roatate the needle a little bit and see if it sticks, keep doing that till you've made some revolutions. You could also chuck the clip end of the needle in a drill EXTREMELY LIGHTLY and spin it at fairly low speed to see if it's bent. I also wonder if you have the right parts in the carb, like a needle too short, or something funky with the slide that makes it hang up.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I went out and went to messs with the carb and check the needle. I twisted my throttle and heard a distinctive click from somewhere in the carb so I think I will investigate that this weekend. Thanks for the advice everyone I wanted to have an idea of what to look for.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER