Jetting advice needed

A reference for the PWK carbs...
jackbombay

Jetting advice needed

Post by jackbombay »

I have a 2006 KDX200, it was run at lower altitudes 0-3000 or so, it currently has a 155 main, and a 45 pilot, with an R1174K needle with the clip in the 2nd position (one down from the top of the needle).

The first place I'll be riding it will be at 2,500' to 4,500' or so at around 55* F, from reading around it seems a 152 main and a 42 pilot will be in the ball park for starters, but as I can only raise the clip (lower the needle) one more position I'd like to swap the needle out for the next leaner needle as my normal riding in the summer will be at 6,000'-9,000' for which I plan on going to a 150 main jet and possibly sticking with the 42 pilot, but maybe dropping to a 40 once I see how it runs.

I've read here that some people prefer the CEL and DEL needles over the 117x needles, which would be better for the altitudes I'll be riding at? Or will I be ok running the 1174k with the clip in the top position? I don't really like the idea of having adjustability maxed out and ending up rich on a warm day at 9,000.

The bike has a gnarly woods pipe and a FMF silencer.
Willbilly

Jetting advice needed

Post by Willbilly »

The announcements of this section have both a jets and needles guide.
jackbombay

Re: Jetting advice needed

Post by jackbombay »

The jetting thread is quite informative, but I live at 6,200' so I can't test jetting at 3,000', I'd like to hopefully show up at 3,000 with a chance of being jetted halfway correctly, I figure somebody rides at similar elevation/temp to get a little feedback.

I tried to figure out the needle chart, but between kawi needle numbers and Keihin needle numbers and letters I don't know what I have relevant to that chart and I'll admit I can't particularly figure out how to use that chart :-/
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Does the OEM service manual not have the old chart from the old manuals, the one that shows 102%, 98% adjustment?

It had elevation change information.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jackbombay

Post by jackbombay »

Jason wrote:Does the OEM service manual not have the old chart from the old manuals, the one that shows 102%, 98% adjustment?

It had elevation change information.
I've been through it pretty throughly and there isn't a chart :-/ Nothing in the carb section, nothing in the appendix, I've also done numerous google searches trying to find an image of a jetting chart and can't find one. I had come to the conclusion that Kawi didn't make a chart for this bike, good to hear they did, now I just need to find it. Does anyone have it handy and a few minutes to post a pic of it?
jackbombay

Post by jackbombay »

jackbombay wrote: I had come to the conclusion that Kawi didn't make a chart for this bike, good to hear they did, now I just need to find it. Does anyone have it handy and a few minutes to post a pic of it?
Bump
jackbombay

Jetting advice needed

Post by jackbombay »

Well, I ordered a CGQ needle, as far as I can tell this will roughly be the same as raising the clip in the 1174k 2 spaces, so clip position number 3 on the CGQ will be the same as clip position number 1 on the 1174k.

Converting the 1174k to a 3 "digit" needle comes out to a BFQ needle.

I want to get away from the Kawi needles as they are expensive and nobody knows what the numbers on them mean, by switching to the 3 "digit" Keihin needles I should be able to make accurate intentional changes relating to the needle...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. It' me again, Margaret. Have you ridden the bike at all?
jackbombay

Post by jackbombay »

Jason wrote:Hi. It' me again, Margaret. Have you ridden the bike at all?
Not possible here, pic from a couple days ago, That is a high roof sprinter...

I'll be headed to southern Utah in a couple weeks or so, first ride then, besides whipping donuts around on my snowy driveway, I'm pretty sure I have all the jets/needles I'll need to get it jetted right for there, it would be a bummer if I have to try to track down parts from a local shop instead of riding while I'm down there.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Why is your dirt all white?? Weird. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Joke edit to 1st post...I am snowed in and can not just go out and do some jetting testing before I go and look at some dumb chart. :mrgreen: :lol: LOL

I would just say search through some old posts. You won't be far off and if you need to change, you will have some spare jets with you. Hopefully you can guess close enough. I hope it turns out well for you.
jackbombay

Jetting advice needed

Post by jackbombay »

jackbombay wrote:Well, I ordered a CGQ needle, as far as I can tell this will roughly be the same as raising the clip in the 1174k 2 spaces, so clip position number 3 on the CGQ will be the same as clip position number 1 on the 1174k.

Converting the 1174k to a 3 "digit" needle comes out to a BFQ needle.
I have the CGQ needle in the bike now, with the clip in the 3rd position the bike had MEAN lean bog from 1/8th to 1/4 throttle, I dropped the clip to the 5th position (raised the needle all the way and it seems pretty good now, but I don't like having no adjustability.

Just for reference, the first letter references the taper of the needle, a is almost straight, D is tapered a lot, more taper leans the mixture near idle and riches it near WOT.

The second letter is the length, changing the length without changing the diameter or taper is the same as moving the clip.

The 3rd letter is the diameter.

I think I need to go to a smaller diameter needle, you can see in this image that the needle diameter plays a big part in the AF ratio ight where I am lean,

Also, people talk about the CEL needle (far thinner than the CGQ I thave) being a good needle in the KDX, they are at much lower elevation than me, but, I was kinda scratching my head about the difference between L and Q as the difference in diameter seemed so big.

Kinda thinking that a CEN needle might be better, hmmm....
Wyorider

Post by Wyorider »

I have an 03 220 and a couple needles I'm going to try messing with tomorrow. The first one is a 1370J which I believe is a CEL and the other is a 1371G which converts to a C?M not sure on the L1 dimension. I'll try to give you some feedback. I'm at 7200 feet and it should be in the mid 40's tomorrow.
jackbombay

Post by jackbombay »

Wyorider wrote:I have an 03 220 and a couple needles I'm going to try messing with tomorrow. The first one is a 1370J which I believe is a CEL and the other is a 1371G which converts to a C?M not sure on the L1 dimension. I'll try to give you some feedback. I'm at 7200 feet and it should be in the mid 40's tomorrow.
I'm on a 200 so jetting will be different for your 220, but the CEL could be about right for you as the 220 will need more gas than a 200, I did order a CEN and just installed it, the CGQ was lean at 1/8 throttle, dropping from Q to N reduces the diameter of the needle so the lean bog at 1/8th throttle should be gone, a brief terrorization of my subdivision says the CEN will be pretty close to correct for me. The center letter is the length, I did have the CGQ needle raised all the way so going from G to E makes the needle shorter so I now have the CEN needle set with the clip in the 3rd position.