What Needle is This?

A reference for the PWK carbs...
chippy

What Needle is This?

Post by chippy »

I have a 2006 KDX200 that I bought with an FMF Desert pipe already installed. It came with this needle set in the leanest clip position. ( I dropped it 1 clip position) R1174K / 2AFKQ .

How does this needle compare to stock? Which of the 2 sets of numbers on the needle should I be working with?
I recently changed to a "Woods" pipe and am trying to tune it. The mid range was awful (lean) with the "Woods" pipe. Quite opposite of what I expected! I raised the needle to the center clip position and went up one MJ size (to 155). It runs much better, but is a little flat at 3/4 throttle-WOT.

update : I just bumped the MJ to a 160 and went for a ride. Wow! It made quite a difference. Much more and smoother power throughout the entire rpm range. I am amazed at how much more fuel the "Woods" pipe needs vs. the "Desert" pipe. This needle works very well at cleaning up the typical KDX rich burble at low throttle openings. I still get quite a bit of spooge. Even though I run a 50:1 mix. I'm at 3000' elevation at 65 degrees F.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What Needle is This?

Post by canamfan »

I googled that # and it came up Kawasaki part # 16009-1832 the stock needle for the 95 thru 2006 kdx 200 h series Sounds like the stock needle. :razz:
chippy

Re: What Needle is This?

Post by chippy »

I do believe you are right! The Kawasaki dealer could not help me with this. They said it was possibly a "leaner" needle because of the Q. That'll teach me! I should have looked it up myself. The internet has made that much easier these days. Thanks for the help.
I do believe that I have the jetting straightened out now. This baby rips!