I need some jetting advice. Please

Post by Micah »

My bike: '01 kdx200
Rb desings air striker carb
Gnarly wood pipe/ turbine core 2
Vforce 3 reeds
North western wa
Elevation 0' - 1700' ft.

Hi so I'm pretty new to all this jetting, but learning alot from reading. My problem is my bike is running perfectly fine but has a low rpm bog when blipping throttle while riding. In neutral it revs up with no hesitation. I change pilot from #40 to #38 and it was worst. Then tried a #42 and that was better, it took bog away for the most part, but left it feeling a little flat in the same area the bog was. Maybe I'm just being picky but I feel like it should have more throttle response. Should I try a bigger pilot. I did try richening the needle, but it didn't seem to help that problem. Any thoughts? Do you guys know if they make a #43 pilot?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: I need some jetting advice. Please

Post by 6 Riders »

My first thought is an air leak somewhere. Could be wrong though.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Micah
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Micah »

Thanks, I'll double check for an air leak. But have not had any issues with idle or anything. Also a side note. I've just recently put new carb on, reeds, and pipe. So all this tuning is all new. Ron sent carb with a 150# main 40# pilot and needle clip in the center. I've also checked plug. Looks great.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Micah wrote:My bike: '01 kdx200
Rb desings air striker carb
Gnarly wood pipe/ turbine core 2
Vforce 3 reeds
North western wa
Elevation 0' - 1700' ft.

Hi so I'm pretty new to all this jetting, but learning alot from reading. My problem is my bike is running perfectly fine but has a low rpm bog when blipping throttle while riding. In neutral it revs up with no hesitation. I change pilot from #40 to #38 and it was worst. Then tried a #42 and that was better, it took bog away for the most part, but left it feeling a little flat in the same area the bog was. Maybe I'm just being picky but I feel like it should have more throttle response. Should I try a bigger pilot. I did try richening the needle, but it didn't seem to help that problem. Any thoughts? Do you guys know if they make a #43 pilot?
have you used the jetting guide here on the forum to make sure your idler, main, needle clip, are all working together ? the mixture screw may be all you need to adjust to get a crisp throttle response, or it might be your idler size also.

use the guide luke !
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes, try a few different settings with the air screw.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

Hey, I'm in the same part of the world but north of the border. Same temps and elevation, and identical setup minus the reeds, I'm using the 607s. Firstly I wouldn't expect too much low torque from the rb airstriker, where it really shines for me is the low end throttle control and response. After all it's only a 200 and prefers revs. I agree with the posts above, get all 3 dialed and working together and fine tune the air screw. I had the same bog with the 38 if I lugged it too low, and occasional pinging. For what it's worth I believe I've got the 40 pilot now, with the Dek 4''th clip and 152 main. Lid is on but the filter is well squeezed.
Micah
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Micah »

Thanks Cal, I might give the 4th clip position a try again. I went riding today at walker and it seemed even worst. I had to adjust my air screw completely in to get rid of the bog. Even then it still feel flat from low to mid throttle, then power band kicks in and it runs like a bat out of hell pulling wheelies. Ive read over the jetting guide and adjusted the air screw to highest idle and it's 2-3/4 out at the highest rev point, which would say I'm running rich right? But why does my bike run way better with the air screw turned all the way in. I'm confused. I think I'll pick up a bigger pilot. And try the 4 clip position.
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

Now that sounds a little bizarre. So it continues to idle with the air screw all the way closed? Is it a legitimate high idle you hear at near 3 turns out or could it just be a wavering idle that's coincidentally high? I wonder if you didn't get a good seal at pipe to cylinder, or at intake when you installed the reeds? How'd it run before?

Nothing at all down low and then a mx like hit sounds like stuck open kips as well, but sure sounds like it's sucking a little too much air from somewhere.
Micah
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Micah »

Before, it was all stock and it ran fine. It had awesome low end like a tractor. But it didn't have near the top end it has now. I'm gonna try some more jetting and keep you guys posted. Also I am running bike with out the air box lid. I might buy a new lid that's not cut completely open. And try that. Maybe I pulling to much air. It's all trial and error.
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Keep us posted on your results!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Micah
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Micah »

So I think I got the bike dialed in for the most part. I put in a #45 pilot and set needle to 4th clip position and put air filter cover on with snorkel removed and opening drilled a hair bigger. Before I was not running with the lid at all. Now I'm pretty happy. Got my low end back and cannot complain. If I want to be picky I'm sure I could do some fine tuning. But as for right now :grin: