Idle speed control design on PWK carbs

A reference for the PWK carbs...
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

On the PWK carbs, is idle speed control the type where the screw itself hols the slide higher or lower to control idle speed? I know it's this way on mikuni. That's why a left idle slide won't work on a right idle carb. Is this also the method on a PWK... are the slides different on left and right idle PWK's? Is there such thing as a lwft idle slide and a right idle slide... or is it done a different way? Thanks!
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

There is a pin in the carb body that indexes the slide so it can only go in one way. The idle screw does move the slide higher or lower depending on which way you turn it. The idle mixture screw adjusts the amount of air flowing through the idle circuit, at least on this carb. If the screw was in front of the slide (toward the engine) it would be a fuel screw, which would adjust the amount of fuel in the idle circuit.
bob_jones

Re: Idle speed control design on PWK carbs

Post by bob_jones »

So it sounds like you're saying that the idle screw does, in fact, physically manipulate the slide itself. Therefore, a slide from a left slide idle pwk CANNOT be used in right side idle application. Am I understanding that correctly?
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I don't know if pwk makes both type of slides, but yes that's the way it works.