air box lid replacement - stupid inner tube stuff

A reference for the PWK carbs...
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

air box lid replacement - stupid inner tube stuff

Post by ohgood »

my kdx hasn't had an air box lid in years. I've started riding dual sport rides with it, and that means tons of dust and or creek crossings/rain/etc. and I didn't like that the filter was so exposed.

after trying a hard cover and not liking the results, I tripped over an old inner tube and realized it would be a great cover tied to the frame rails.

it's not fancy, but I left it in the rain with the seat off, and the filter was dry after words. it collapses took allow access to the filter for cleaning, and doesn't impede air flow at all.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: air box lid replacement - stupid inner tube stuff

Post by Jaguar »

If after some good mud riding there is no mud on your air filter then you know it's working good.
post a pic of your inner tube setup
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Sounds neat definitely want to see it
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Jaguar wrote:If after some good mud riding there is no mud on your air filter then you know it's working good.
post a pic of your inner tube setup

yesterday's ride was 48.4 miles of single and double track, with a decent amount of mud puddles to wheelie through @ The Ridge in Springville, AL. I'm going to start mentioning names of places that are parks in posts, because.... without advertising, these places will die and we'll have fewer places to ride. :) There's your spam for today. :)

So anyway, there was sufficient mud and creek crossings to give you an idea look at the swingarm prior to my spraying it off with a hose this morning:

and the really dumb looking (but highly functional!) rain flap on the ProCircuit silencer:

and the stupid inner tube air box flap:

with dust still on it from yesterday's 48.4 mile ride:

prior to spraying off:

and then after spraying from every angle without any attention to preventing water getting on the filter

you can see a few beads on the filter, but keep in mind this is wreckless abandon spraying, with the seat off, and actually focusing the water stream right on the cover. i was really surprised just how little dust made it's way onto the filter, and that for the first time ever, no mud clods were hanging on to it either.

sweet, may this can make my top end last another couple seasons :)

i know the mud flap on the pipe looks cheesy, but I don't have to dig for a plug each time it starts raining at camp, or store the nasty thing when it's time to ride. of course, it's inner tube, and hasn't fallen apart yet, with 250 miles of riding. i think i can handle the looks for the convenience. :)

track summary:

tracks !

great day of riding :)
Last edited by ohgood on 06:07 am Sep 08 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I did the same thing on both my old 02 kdx and my current 2000 kx250. I make sure that air can only get in from the intakes on my sidepanels and not at the top of the airbox above the intake boot. I was noticing a lot of water seemed to migrate in and soak the filter from that area. In dry conditions I pull it off for more air.
2002 KDX 200