ceq,deq needles

A reference for the PWK carbs...
twowheelfanatic

ceq,deq needles

Post by twowheelfanatic »

has anyone on here tried these needles?im new on this site and have read alot of guys using cel and del needles ending up with low throttle richness.looking at the needle chart looks like the ceq,deq would give same taper and length of the del,cel but diameter of stock needle which should eliminate the low throttle rich concerns.i have a new to me 2000 kdx200 with gnarley pipe,powercore 2 silencer,stock reeds,stock carb.
jetting
40 pj
1174 clip2
155 mj
5 plus turns out on as
if i run as in at 1.5 to 2.5 turns out is pretty rich from 1/8 to 1/4 throttle.if i drop needle by raising clip it is still rich at these throttle opening but it has no power from 1/4 up to 3/4 throttle.if i raise needle to 3rd clip it still has low throttle richness but runs a little better at 1/4 to 3/4 range.float is set to 16mm.ive only had this machine for a few weeks and is in pretty good shape.has good compression and reeds look good.i mix fuel at 40:1 with amsoil dominator.
any thoughts or opinions?
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: ceq,deq needles

Post by G22inSC »

If you are truly 5 turns out on the air screw then you need to drop to a 38 pilot jet. You run the risk of the air screw falling out while riding if it's turned out too far.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Where you following the jetting guide to get to the 5 turns out? Or does it just seem to run best at that setting?

What is your elevation?
twowheelfanatic

it runs its best at 5 turns out.ive tried the needle in 3rd clip way too rich,top clip way too anemic from 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle.with a 42 pilot the rich blubbery 1/8 to 1/4 is definitely worse.with the clip in the 2nd next to top from 1/2 to 3/4 feels a little lazyalso
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

What is your elevation?
twowheelfanatic

midwest seal level to 600ft
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I think something else may be your problem. A 40 pilot shouldn't be at 5 turns out at your elevation. You said it runs best at 5, but what is the jetting process indicating about your pilot size?
twowheelfanatic

jetting process tells me i should drop to a 38pj the reevaluate
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Out of curiosity, how many turns out gave you the highest idle with the 40?
twowheelfanatic

when its warmed up at idle 3 turns out gives it the highest idle,but when you ride it 1/8 to 1/4 throttle pretty rich.run as out to 5 turns and it cleans at least 90% of the rich problem.is much more snappy will loft the front wheel much easier
twowheelfanatic

went out today starting temp 28 degrees,i put a deq needle in it 3rd postion,40 pj,155mj as 3turns out.a little lazy 1/8 to 1/4 throttle.1/2 throttle a little rich. would clean out butt have to ride aggressive to keep it clean.runs much better no blubbering like before.i raised clip to 2nd notch that cleaned up 1/2 throttle runs real well except lazy down low.temp got up to 35 degrees and low end resopnce improved.pulled the plug running light tan, need to get a happy medium from before to my current settings.
any thoughts?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

What was the compression when you tested it? Absolutely sure the reeds are flat? Air filter clean and silencer re packed?

I ask only because a 40 pilot ( and more likely a 38 ) is unusually lean for sea level in the winter. I know every bike can be different, but that just seems a bit out there.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm with Ted. Something sounds amiss here.

FWIW though, a small amount of "blubber" when cruising at 1/8th throttle or so is acceptable. These little carbs being what they are, you really can't have it titty right for every combination of throttle position / RPM. If it's a little rich at lower RPM 1/8th throttle, that's fine, otherwise it could be too lean at high RPM 1/8th throttle. Obviously that could be bad......

Best thing to do is follow the jetting guide methodically step by step. Making random adjustments here and there and judging by seat of the pants just leads to frustration. Of course, that only works if the engine is mechanically sound. No air leaks, proper compression, good reeds, etc.
twowheelfanatic

it has a new air filter,i havent repacked silencer apears fairly new and pretty quiet still.reeeds were flat and no chipping,comp was just over 175.isnt using trans oil,doesnt smoke excessively unless stock needle in 3rd clip or 4th clip.ive read the jetting chart and the on on just kdx site also.
the blubbery at the low settings really affect the throttle resopnce and performance or i wouldnt be too concerned with it.
although the deq went to the other end of the low throttle concern as now its lazy in this area.after rereading the kdx only jetting i understand why as i didnt take into account the larger taper would change the low throttle settings to the lean side.
stock needle low throttle was like choke is on,deq need same throttle now is lazy.
maybe carb a little worn out?ive thought about getting the as carb butt not ready to give up on stock carb yet.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Dont overlook a leaking jet block gasket.
twowheelfanatic

i will check it out thanks for the imput.
twowheelfanatic

after a couple of nights of tinkering and reading the jetting guide over and over with the input on this thread i think ive got it real close now.ive found that i was checking pilot jet wrong.42 pilot is much better.i put the popular del needle in and was surprised at how well it seems to work.it still seems a little rich at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle butt blubbering gone.seems to have very good responce.ill know more when i ride trails this weekend butt i think im down to fine tuning the air screw.here are my current settings
42pj
del 2nd clip
152 mj
in parking lot seemed very good
thanks for your help and input
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Great to hear!