High rpm miss

A reference for the PWK carbs...
Dbrockman1972

High rpm miss

Post by Dbrockman1972 »

Hey guys. I just picked up a very clean 01 220. Before I rode it I put in a wiesco, 607 reeds, and cleaned the kips (verified it's opening correctly) I removed the snorkel and a new no toil filter. This bike is so much more fun to ride in the woods and doesn't wear me out like my cr250. The bike starts easy, idles nice, pulls clean until full throttle, then sounds like it's missing. Almost like it's hitting a rev limiter. If I really "clean it up" by revving her while putting it seems like it will pull normally sometimes. It has a 42 pilot, 145 main, and stock slide and 1173 needle in the center clip. Stock pipe and muffler. I am going to get a few leaner main jets, and maybe lean the needle one clip. I will pick up a fresh plug and do a plug chop to see where I'm at. Any other ideas as to what could cause a high rpm miss? Anything the 220 is common to have go wrong? Ignition, plugged pipe, etc. thanks guys. This is gonna be my perfect bike when I get her right! Oh and btw, I'm in central illinois. About 600'
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: High rpm miss

Post by bufftester »

Well regardless of what else may be wrong, after all those changes to the motor you definitely need to rejet the bike, the guide is on this site and easy to find. The trick to make it work is not to skip steps. Of course the suaul applies, make sure everything is mechanically sound and properly adjusted (sounds like you've already done that).
Dbrockman1972

High rpm miss

Post by Dbrockman1972 »

Got it really close!
Stock: 42 pilot, 145 main, 1173 needle 3rd clip from top.
Now: 40 pilot, 142 main, 1173 needle 2nd clip from top.
I might be able to get a tad closer, but I went riding today and the bike performed like I was hoping it would. What a fun bike! Like a green mountain goat!