carb cleaning

A reference for the PWK carbs...
ukkdx200

carb cleaning

Post by ukkdx200 »

my bike has developed some starting issues (i.e. its not always very good) so my first port of call is going to be new filter, plug fuel but I want to take the carb out give everything a good clean etc. my question is everything ive read says clean with carb cleaner then blast with compressed air, I don't have an air compressor so was just wondering if compressed air from a aerosol would be ok?

something like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPRESSED-AI ... 45f9f72358

cheers
si
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: carb cleaning

Post by KDXGarage »

dental floss?

Don't use a wire.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You can use the canned air, just use short blasts so you don't freeze anything (mainly your fingers!). If you take all the jets out (as you should) and use an aerosol carb cleaner to thoroughly go through everything you can let it air dry as most carb cleaners have a pretty high flash point. What starting issues are you having exactly?
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

thanks Jason hadn't thought of floss!
bufftester wrote:You can use the canned air, just use short blasts so you don't freeze anything (mainly your fingers!). If you take all the jets out (as you should) and use an aerosol carb cleaner to thoroughly go through everything you can let it air dry as most carb cleaners have a pretty high flash point. What starting issues are you having exactly?
thanks very much that's what I wanted to know, Ive got aerosol carb cleaner so I will use that (and floss) and let it dry itself.

the starting issue is that it doesn't! it used to be really bad, that turned out to be the bent lever, Ive now got a kx125 starter on kdx boss and that made it a million times better to the point I was happy but sometimes it is still taking ages, I did a hare n hounds (same as a hare scramble) and it took me over 5minutes to get it going on the start line so I did well not to come last in class! (although I was 2nd to last!) I also noticed that it was sometimes nearly stalling a lot especially on steep downhills and was sometimes a bit reluctant to get going off the bottom end so after reading I figured start with new plug, clean filter and clean the carb and adjust air screw etc as per the guide and hopefully that will sort it!
ukkdx200

carb cleaning

Post by ukkdx200 »

took plug out today, I guess this means to rich?

so I haven't got the carb out but when I do if the clip is in position 3rd from top move it to 2nd from top and see how it goes? or do I need to get a smaller main jet?? im a complete novice so any help appreciate and keep it to simple terms!!!
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Yep is too rich, look for kdx jetting guide in the site to get a completely explanation on how to do it you self.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

carb cleaning

Post by scheckaet »

get a few new plugs and jet your bike. Check my sig for how to.
ukkdx200

carb cleaning

Post by ukkdx200 »

thanks, ive been reading it over and over again and am starting to understand it! I know there are no short cuts so just got to follow it excatly as it says! little nervious of doing it but only one way to learn! at least I correctly identified its to rich thats got to be a start!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Just follow the guide and don't skip around, and don't stop halfway through because it "sounds good", go all the way to the end. Most people have issues because they don't follow the steps in sequence, and they don't follow ALL the steps. Carbs are not difficult, they just scare people because usually they don't do it right and end up mucking things up worse. Good skill to work on, since anytime you make changes (different pipe/silencer, top end rebuild, major changes in elevation, etc) you will need to do it again. I would pull the jets out that are in there and see what they are, then get a couple sizes up and down from there (and keep them safely stored in the toolbox) before you start so that you have the right ones on hand. Jets R Us carries them for a couple bucks each.
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

bufftester wrote:Just follow the guide and don't skip around, and don't stop halfway through because it "sounds good", go all the way to the end. Most people have issues because they don't follow the steps in sequence, and they don't follow ALL the steps. Carbs are not difficult, they just scare people because usually they don't do it right and end up mucking things up worse. Good skill to work on, since anytime you make changes (different pipe/silencer, top end rebuild, major changes in elevation, etc) you will need to do it again. I would pull the jets out that are in there and see what they are, then get a couple sizes up and down from there (and keep them safely stored in the toolbox) before you start so that you have the right ones on hand. Jets R Us carries them for a couple bucks each.

sounds like good advice, i have done my research on threads and your right so many people obviously havent followed the steps in the thread
Im eager not to be one of those people and will try to follow everystep! today at least has seen a new plug in and washed filter ready for new oil on it tomorrow, is it best to remove the tank to get at the carb?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You can get it off with the tank on, but it's not difficult to pull the tank and makes the job easier
ukkdx200

carb cleaning

Post by ukkdx200 »

off it comes then! thanks again for everyones help!
ukkdx200

carb cleaning

Post by ukkdx200 »

For some reason I couldnt get the tank off. The nuts just kept turning?? Anyway with a bit of moving around the carb came off so I'm first going to take it apart clean everything before putting it back in and start to jet as per the guide

found it had a 158main and 45pilot so before starting the jetting I will put it 155 in ive seen that mentioned as a good start point!
as so many others have said before it had seemed a bit daunting but it all makes sense once its pulled out!