jetting, jetting, jetting. what to do,what to do

A reference for the PWK carbs...
brian1014

Post by brian1014 »

Just wondering what you guys would run for jetting if you were me! I have 160,158,155 mains and 48,45 pilots. Be about 1000-2500 ft I think and about 20-23celcius or around 70farenheit. Sorry for the noob questions but I wanna get it runnin nice!! Thanks so much, love this site. Bike is stock btw with airbox lid gone
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: jetting, jetting, jetting. what to do,what to do

Post by KDXohio »

Here's what i used as a starting point
Main Jet 152-158, Pilot Jet 45-48, Needle R1173N, Needle 3RD clip, Air Screw 1.5 turns, and I removed my airbox lid snorkel
Last edited by KDXohio on 09:15 am Jul 18 2013, edited 1 time in total.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

read my sig for the how to. that is the only way to do it right.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Most go smaller on the pilot, I run a 40 and I am still too rich on bottom. Play with the needle clip setting first because it's easier, it has the greatest impact, and it is by feel. Plug chops are the only way to really know if you have the main right. It takes some work to dial it in, but it is free power...and will save you on fouled plugs.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Follow the jetting guide...to the letter...it really does work. If you haven't spent any time in carbs, a little reading http://www.carbparts.com/keihin/needles ... r_carb.htm will let you know why you're turning the screws it says to
brian1014

Post by brian1014 »

Awesome info guys thankyou, I'm goona be putting in the 158/45 and see how well that works on saturday.... If the shop has my parts(jets) story of my life. Haven't bothered adjusting the needle so its still on the stock position ill probably try to adjust it once I'm back on sunday, if you go too lean... Say 155/45 would going too lean hurt the bike at all?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If you lean it way out and ride hard you can possibly seize the motor due to underlubrication, but the KDX is jetted overly rich from the factory. Follow the guide, it never fails.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Better to be too rich than too lean but just throwing different sizes at it will only help to an extent the jetting guide everyone is talking about really is the best way to go
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.