opinions please

A reference for the PWK carbs...
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: opinions please

Post by bufftester »

Only way to check it is to pull the float bowl and floats off, then inspect the seat, pin and tip...then set your float height. After that I have no clue.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

[quote="diymirage]took out the brand new plug that was in there and put in an old spare that i keep in the fender bag off the DD
kicked it once, without the choke, nothing
put the choke on and kicked it again....fired right up
bogged a bit with the choke on but as soon as that came off she was crisp[/quote]

You should need to use the choke. More so in the winter. If you are trying to get the bike to start and run with no choke then you have a long road ahead of you.

As for jetting, if you are guessing at what size to go with then go down a size at a time for safety.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

thanks Bates
the odd thing is, my daily driver i dont think i ever need the choke on, no mather how cold it is
if it sits for several weeks and it gets cold it may take up to 3 kicks (without the choke) to get her going but if she gets out at least once a week, one kick is all it takes

so, heres a stupid qeustion, when trying to start it with the choke on....should the throttle be open, closed, halfway?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

opinions please

Post by rbates9 »

I would say you DD is the exception, not the rule as far as starting cold. And when starting with the choke on it is kind of a every bike is different type of thing. I have had toys that would fire with no throttle and also had toys that needed just a touch of throttle to start.

I would also be interested in why your DD can start with no choke.??? The choke more or less adds more fuel to the low idle circuit so if it starts with no choke then maybe it might be too rich?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

ill tear the carb apart one of these days and have a look at what jets are in there
i know they are smaller then stock but i dont recall how much smaller
(edit, an older post on here shows im running a 42/155 combo, thats with a bills pipe, missing airbox lid and stock everything else)

ive been meaning to get in there to adjust the float just a hair to keep her from seeping when on the kick stand

i do beleive the DD is properly jetted though...i followed the guide ;)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

opinions please

Post by rbates9 »

My bike always needs the choke, even in the summer to start quickly (a kick or two). It can be started without the choke but I'm lazy and don't like to kick it more than I have to. :wink: Has any one figured out an electric start for the KDX yet? :lol:

Also it is not un common for a little gas to run out when the bike is on it's kick stand. I have adjusted the float height and still at times it will run a little gas out and just turning the bars the other way can make it stop.