Repipe-Rejet???

A reference for the PWK carbs...
bugeater

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by bugeater »

I have a stock 97 KDX 220 that I am upgrading...I ordered a FMF Gnarly (woods) pipe with power core 2 silencer. Will I need to rejet or do any other adjustments to the fuel/air mixture???
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Repipe-Rejet???

Post by Julien D »

Probably not much. Are you running stock jets now, or have you jetted it really close? Running an airbox lid? General consensus says the woods pipe behaves pretty close to the stock pipe on the 220. Slapping a low end pipe on a bike already ported and tuned for low end may be a bit redundant. That's just what "they" say. They being most 220 owners who have tried both stock, woods, and desert pipes on 220's. Of course, there are also folks with a differing opinion.

Welcome to KDXRIDER!!!!

Jason C.
bugeater

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by bugeater »

Thanks! I believe it is still bone stock jetting. I bought the bike used a year ago and love it. There is no air box lid and a K&N filter in it. I'm still trying to learn all the particulars. I bought this bike for my son to ride.. I was on a KTM 300 but after riding the KDX he now has the 300 and I have the "old" bike.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Aha, understood. Congrats on inheriting the "old" bike. The katoom 300 is a pretty popular choice in my riding group. I have no problems keeping up or even spanking most of them with my "old" 200, lol. Word of advice, ditch the K&N asap. They work great on cars, horrible on bikes. A traditional oiled foam filter will extend your top end maintenance intervals considerably. Check out the woods pipe and see what you think, but I think you'll find yourself wanting to swap it for a desert pipe.
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by CoronasAndChips »

Why go with the Power Core 2 over the Turbine or the "Q"?
I have the Power Core 2 and wish I had the "Q". I want a little less noise.
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
bugeater

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by bugeater »

Why the desert over the woods? Consider the K&N gone thanks
bugeater

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by bugeater »

The power core came with the package.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by Brian »

I have two KDX 220's (and a 200). One has the desert pipe and the other has the woods pipe.

The woods pipe on the 220 gives you lots of torque from idle to where the power valve opens (6000 rpm). At that point the bike won't accelerate. There is no over rev at all. It almost feels like it hit a rev limiter. That might be ok in some conditions, especially really tight, muddy trails.

The desert pipe on the 220 trades a little torque at just above idle for a much more freer running engine. It has a much broader and useable rpm range. There is more over rev. You can wind it up when the trails open up and you can still short shift in the tight, muddy stuff.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by zomby woof »

ditch the K&N asap. They work great on cars, horrible on bikes.
Not true.
K&N filters are excellent for bikes. I would take one over a foam filter any day of the week. Can-am's came with K&N filters, and I have two 30+ year old Can-ams on original bores, with original filters. Having experience with them, I strongly suggest using one. What do you think all those desert buggy, and BAJA trucks use? Hint. it's not a foam fiilter.
Ontario, Canada
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by rbates9 »

zomby woof wrote:
ditch the K&N asap. They work great on cars, horrible on bikes.
Not true.
K&N filters are excellent for bikes. I would take one over a foam filter any day of the week. Can-am's came with K&N filters, and I have two 30+ year old Can-ams on original bores, with original filters. Having experience with them, I strongly suggest using one. What do you think all those desert buggy, and BAJA trucks use? Hint. it's not a foam filter.
The pain in the ass of cleaning them alone is too much trouble for me to bother with them. No mater how great they claim to be. Which is also debatable, from my experience with them all they do is cost more and take up way too much time to clean. Sorry, they also have dropped the fuel mileage on anything I ever put them in.

By the way, do you have a K&N in your KDX? Or a foam filter? Be honest, because you only bragged about your two Can-am's with them.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by zomby woof »

KDX, KLX and on my street performance car. If you're having a hard time cleaning a K&N, you're doing it wrong.
Ontario, Canada
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by scheckaet »

regardless, I'd guess 99% use no toil, uni or twin air. (all foam filters)
I'm sure the owner can make an inform decision n what to use.
BTW, not trying to open a debate or start a war on my filter is better than yours BS...
to the OP, yes a rejet will be beneficial.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by SS109 »

Having used K&N's for 20+ years on street cars and bikes I love them when I am only on pavement. The pores are just too large in the filter material to seal out the small, fine dust we have here in AZ. I have seen the dust sitting in the air cleaner base on my car after just one trip down a dirt road. I would never run one on my KDX. A dual layer foam filter has never let anything get past it IME. I'm currently using NoToil filters.

OP, do your homework on the air filter and make up your own mind!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by zomby woof »

SS109 wrote:
OP, do your homework on the air filter and make up your own mind!

Pore size on a K&N has no bearing on it's filtering ability. Somebody else needs to do their own homework. Google search David Vizard K&N and you'll learn how they really work.
Ontario, Canada
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've just seen far too many photos of dusty intake boots and ruined carb slides to feel comfy with a K&N on any of my bikes. Why they let dust through does not much matter to me, only that they do seem to let more dust and dirt pass than a foam filter. If it works for you, great, I'm not going to argue that. Keep right on using them. To each their own, and all that. :partyman:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by SS109 »

zomby woof wrote:
SS109 wrote:OP, do your homework on the air filter and make up your own mind!
Pore size on a K&N has no bearing on it's filtering ability. Somebody else needs to do their own homework. Google search David Vizard K&N and you'll learn how they really work.
BS. I don't care what the man says as I know what I have seen with my own eyes. When I can see through the pores, and find dust in my intake tract, I know what that tells me. Also, I am not alone by a long shot in making this observation. Now quit trying to sell us the K&N. Run what ever you like. It's your bike(s) and your money. However, don't try to convince me to run a filter that allows some dirt particles to enter my engine. My bike, my money, I run dual stage foam filters. Period.
'11 GasGas EC250R
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by zomby woof »

I don't care what you guys use. I was only addressing the bad advice regarding the filters. I take Vizard's info as gospel, as most do, and being a professional mechanic, and engine builder for over 30 years, I have some experience. I guess you guys know better :lol:
Ontario, Canada
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by rbates9 »

zomby woof wrote:Google search David Vizard K&N and you'll learn how they really work.

Ok, when you google the guy it becomes very clear that K&N is heavily sponsoring a tour of lectures that he puts on. Hmmm, that wouldn't at all make him a little partial to the hand that feeds him.

P.S. John Force really likes Castrol engine oil. :roll:
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by zomby woof »

If you really looked, you'd realize that was 20 years after the fact.
Ontario, Canada
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by SS109 »

Wow. :shock: Are you just trying to come off as arrogant and condescending or what? We stated our opinions, you stated yours, I suggested the OP to research it himself, yet somehow you are the authority and we are wrong? Just, wow.

BTW, David Vizard, WTH does he have to do with off road bikes? He is a auto engine builder. Not everyone in the automotive world thinks Vizard is all that either. His seminars are sponsored by K&N and automotive based. If it is after the fact, then you post up where he talks about the K&N as you made the claim so you can back it up. However, it doesn't matter. His opinion means **** compared to people like Mitch Payton, Roger DeCoster, Eric Gorr, or anyone else that actually builds/develops dirt bike engines and I have never heard of even one of those guys using or endorsing K&N filters. Hell, I challenge you to post up one professional off road/MX motorcycle team that actually uses K&N air filters! Good luck! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R