Repipe-Rejet???

A reference for the PWK carbs...
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by zomby woof »

It's obvious that some of the people here have no idea how they work. They do not work like a foam filter. Foam filters are cheap throwaways, and the K&N is a premium product. I provided the info so you guys could see how they work, and why they are so good, but some of you saw the first link, and immediately discounted it because his lectures are now sponsored by K&N. The research he did on filtration came many years before his affiliation with the company. An engine is an engine, and good filtration is critical. I'm not sure which of you guys work on engines for a living , and which are internet warriors who just like to post their opinions, so hands up you guys that are professional mechanics that have been building race engines for many years. :supz: (this is my hand up).
Ontario, Canada
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by SS109 »

SS109 wrote:If it is after the fact, then you post up where he talks about the K&N as you made the claim so you can back it up.
Show me the article you're talking about and if it's legit, I'll believe it. otherwise, you know what to do :mrgreen:

:lol:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by rbates9 »

I happen to be a "Professional mechanic" and like the wide majority of "Professional mechanics" I do not build race engines. Engines are not all the same. Race engines have a very short life span due to them being tuned to get the max power out of it for a limited amount of time. So if a part could potentially gain some power the trade off of longevity is not a concern.

I do work for a equipment company that has a pretty good reputation for longevity and durability and the only time I have seen a K&N air filter on any of the engines is in marine applications that do not have the room for a legitimate filter housing assembly and operate on the water with minimal dust. I have also seen many low hour engines "dusted" from poor air filters letting dust by. So as far as I'm concerned ANY dust is too much.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Repipe-Rejet???

Post by Julien D »

If they are so superior to "throw away" foam filters, why then does K&N recommend using a foam pre-filter when used in dusty or dirty conditions? :hmm:

Also note, they do not, and never have, published flow data for their "superior" filters when used in combination with a foam pre-filter. :hmm:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by rbates9 »

SS109 wrote:
SS109 wrote:If it is after the fact, then you post up where he talks about the K&N as you made the claim so you can back it up.
Show me the article you're talking about and if it's legit, I'll believe it. otherwise, you know what to do :mrgreen:

I think he's putting a webenar together to better educate us un informed. :pop:
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

Julien D wrote:If they are so superior to "throw away" foam filters, why then does K&N recommend using a foam pre-filter when used in dusty or dirty conditions? :hmm:

Also note, they do not, and never have, published flow data for their "superior" filters when used in combination with a foam pre-filter. :hmm:

Back from a few days in the bush :boogie:

Did you miss me?

Can you please show me where K&N recommends this? I've never seen it.

BTW, I use a prefilter on everything, but won't use a foam filter without one.
Ontario, Canada
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by zomby woof »

SS109 wrote:

I believe it's at about 7 minutes, but I haven't watched it in some time.
Ontario, Canada
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by SS109 »

You did note from his speech that the way he believes the K&N to work is just his theory and has no testing data to back it up. Sorry, while an interesting talk about the K&N, what he says still doesn't prove squat other some filtration is better than none on a race engine and that a K&N outflows any paper element filter. Note there was no comparison to foam filters of any kind. They only real thing I can take from it is that the reason my K&N let dirt pass is because I kept it too clean! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by rbates9 »

I watched the video that was linked to and it seems there is magical tiny brooms that defend the intake with tiny little brooms. Like the scrubbing bubbles you clean the shitter with. Now it all makes sense.

Also I like how quick the guy changed the subject an 13:25 when some one asked him why there was dirt in the intake after the filter. He just had some quick "they have a grease to seal the joint" escape. :butthead:

One more thing. He is comparing the K&N to paper filters made in the 70's used on a Mini Cooper on a paved track. That seems to be very close to the 2 stroke dirt bike application that we are dealing with. :roll:
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by zomby woof »

The link was posted in regard to what was said in the previous page about "pore size". I don't know why you guys get so confused. :roll:
Ontario, Canada
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by SS109 »

zomby woof wrote:The link was posted in regard to what was said in the previous page about "pore size". I don't know why you guys get so confused. :roll:
And we are talking about exactly that. Why are you getting confused?
'11 GasGas EC250R
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by Brian »

Our airplanes (Dehivilland Dash 8, otherwise known as the Q-400) use K&N airfilters to filter all the air that cools the avionics. There are several of them in each aircraft. We just take them out and clean them with compressed air.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by scheckaet »

you need to compare apples to apples, I doubt an air plane would see as much dust as a dirt bike...
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by Brian »

I was just making a "gee whiz" comment. I use the No Toil air filter and filter oil.

If you have ever opened your computer and blown all the dust out, you've seen how much dust gets in there. The electronics of an airplane are the same way.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by zomby woof »

scheckaet wrote:you need to compare apples to apples, I doubt an air plane would see as much dust as a dirt bike...
And I doubt an air filter related failure would make your KDX fall out of the sky :lol:

You guys are the best :supz:
Ontario, Canada
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Repipe-Rejet???

Post by Julien D »

zomby woof wrote:
scheckaet wrote:you need to compare apples to apples, I doubt an air plane would see as much dust as a dirt bike...
And I doubt an air filter related failure would make your KDX fall out of the sky :lol:

You guys are the best :supz:
LOL

Now that's funny!
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by CoronasAndChips »

I'd fly in a Kawasaki powered aircraft. But a Harley engine? Forgetaboutit!
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly