Need a starting point.

A reference for the PWK carbs...
rdvance

Need a starting point.

Post by rdvance »

Ive got a 1990 kdx that i recently purchased at a good deal. I found a few probs after i got it like a cracked carb boot and both left and right valve were stripped. anyway getting all those probs took care of and need to find a good baseline to start with on jetting.

The bike
1990 KDX 200

Mods :
Boyeson 607 reeds
Modded stock pipe
FMF muffler
open airbox modded to keep the regulator mount

Ride mostly between 2500' and 5000'
60 to 70 degrees F
rdvance

Re: Need a starting point.

Post by rdvance »

Oh not sure if it matters but the locality is NE TN NW NC
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Where exactly are you? In in NW NC, about 15 minutes from the state line on 421.

Anyway, what jets have you got in there now? 155/45 is generally a safe starting point. 152/42 might be closer, but it's safer to start a little fat and work your way down.
rdvance

Post by rdvance »

Julien, I live in Roan Mtn TN. Work near Boone. Thats what kinda made me think i need to start over. It had 150/48 and a 1172. It was smoking alot. Sounds like we arent far from each other maybe we can get together and ride sometime.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

try a 45 or even 42 pilot. That main ought to be real close. You aren't burning tranny oil, are you?

Yeah, I live just outside boone on 421, and work at the hospital. I sadly haven't even had much chance to ride this summer. Work is work, and kids are kids. I really need to get out a few times before the snow comes.
rdvance

Post by rdvance »

Cool, I work at Seven Devils. I dont think i am but do have a really bad leak from the tranny around the sprocket i ordered a new seal for it and the shifter when i ordered the new valves. I hope to get mine back together soon. Whats your suggestion on a needle jet?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

For the E series, the CGK/DGK needles are the way to go. The CGK has more of a hit to it, and the DGK is very smooth. Both have a better overall profile for the KDX than the stock 1173 kawi needle. I would recommend getting both, and trying them back to back. The CGK can be a lot of fun for a little while. For long tough trails, the DGK is a lot easier to handle. You will certainly need a smaller pilot with either of those needles.